Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Brand Spankin' New! - 02-22-2009, 06:20 AM

Hi all! I just wanted to welcome myself here and figured the "Beginners Questions" section would be the best place for it. I have been browsing this website for about 4 days now and I feel that there are a number of rather intelligent/experienced people on here.

About MINI (mine that is) - Its being shipped here as I type. I managed to pick one up at the Dell Outlet with Ubuntu, a 32G SSD, 1G ram, 1.3M cam, and no BT :cry: for 319 bucks. At the time I felt it was a fantastic deal so I sprung on it. It was a new build that I guess didn't get shipped out. Maybe the customer canceled there order?!? Either way, the black beauty will be here Wednesday! I can't wait!

I also ordered a mini BT dongle to make up for the lack of BT, a skin to protect the outside (thanks to you guys and your great ideas), and an external case to house an old laptop DVD burner that I had laying around the house! Anyway, looking for great ideas to do in addition to what I have already begun. I have a 2g stick of ram already here at the house awaiting the laptop.

Thanks for being here and I will talk to you guys later!

-WarMachine

-WarMachine
Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Brand Spankin' New! - 02-22-2009, 06:59 AM

Congratulations (in advance) and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have a nice system on its way to you. I know you said you already ordered a bluetooth adapter, but I would highly recommend getting the BT module from Dell and installing it. I too bought a USB bluetooth, but ended up installing the Dell module myself. It keeps the USB port available for other things (flash stick, DVD drive, etc) and I can use a nice BT mouse. Either way, you'll be glad you decided on the Mini. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Brand Spankin' New! - 02-22-2009, 07:03 AM

Yeah I definitely wanted the BT for the whole mouse thing. I am still considering the BT module from Dell but I could not find it to order it. I thought I found something earlier that people were having trouble ordering it though. Wasn't sure if I did get it, if it would come with the cables and everything in order to hook it up. Would hate to just get the module and not be able to tether it into the mobo!

-WarMachine
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Brand Spankin' New! - 02-22-2009, 07:13 AM

Well, when if/when you are ready to order the BT module from Dell, the fastest/easiest way to do it is to email a specific person (check glueball's post here), and let him know that you would like to order the module. Provide your name, Dell Customer #, shipping address, and contact phone number (he will call you for charge info).
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Brand Spankin' New! - 02-22-2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks a lot Fallstar!! Even in the wee hours of the night you guys are helpful!

-WarMachine

« No sound in Ubuntu (not remixed version) | I'm getting a MINI 9! »