Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New / Soon To Be Owner: SSD swap question - 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Hello All,

I've been lurking for a bit, reading the threads, and I'm pleased to see how helpful everyone is here. Definitely helped in my decision to purchase my Mini 9 (which should be here in two weeks, Zeus willing!)

I ordered it with Ubuntu 8.04, 512RAM, and and 8G SSD. I plan to swap the RAM out (2G) as soon as I get it, but am unsure about the hard drive. I'd like a 16 / 32G Runcore, but am unsure if my needs / usage require the drive. Also, I don't have an external drive, so it's USB boot or nothing for me. I know there are threads / videos to help me on that, so I'm not *too* scared (lol), but wondered what my "order of operations" should be.

Should I just switch the SSD out as soon as I get it using the usb to boot, or should I run the 8G and get it the way I want, and then clone it / transfer the data to the larger drive?

Thanks! ~Lindsey

P.S. I'm only planning on using this to surf the web, listen to a little streaming music, and type some documents / papers for school. Maybe project a slideshow or two for my students. No heavy duty needs; no gaming. Anyone running a 8G SSD that is happy with the storage space? If I don't need to switch, I can skip all this! I could just keep programs / files on an SDHC card, right? THANKS!!

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black, Ubuntu 8.04, 512RAM, 8G SSD...waiting on delivery!
Planned upgrades: Runcore 16G or 32G SSD, 2GRAM, update Ubuntu, skin, sleeve, and case.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: New / Soon To Be Owner: SSD swap question - 02-20-2009, 01:19 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty sure there are folks here that are happily running their Minis on 8 GB SSDs. You could always try out your Mini as is, for a while and see how you like it. If you do decide later on to upgrade the SSD, I would recommend the Runcore...although, by then, it's possible there may be other brands just as fast, readily available. The Runcore drive is equipped with a microUSB port, which can be used to connect the drive to your Mini's USB, and, using software such as Acronis True Image, copy/mirror your current drive over to the new Runcore. This saves you from having to do an install of the OS, drivers and programs. It's a nice feature. From what I've been reading, MyDigitalDiscount has been having a hard time keeping 32 and 64 GB drives (for the Mini) in stock, but eventually they get a big shipment in from China, and are able to fulfill the orders. So, it's up to you whether you should upgrade the SSD immediately, or allow some time to get to know your Mini with the 8 GB drive first.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: New / Soon To Be Owner: SSD swap question - 02-20-2009, 03:00 AM

yeah, the best thing to do if you're unsure is to just use it as is for a little while. i'm not sure how much room the installed ubuntu takes up, but you always have the option of nabbing an SDHC card fairly inexpensively. most of the people who are waiting for their runcores have opted for that in the meantime. if ubuntu already has word processing and mp3/audio playback programs included, you should be in good shape.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: New / Soon To Be Owner: SSD swap question - 02-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks Ade and Fallstar!

I think you two are right: I'll get it and play around with it first. Who knows? The 8G might be just fine for my needs, with an SDHC and USB or two. Also, that is GREAT news about the Runcore (the USB functionality)! I saw a video about that a few weeks ago, but didn't know it was a Runcore. That is a really cool benefit.

ONLY two more weeks until D-Day! (Delivery day)

~Lindsey

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black, Ubuntu 8.04, 512RAM, 8G SSD...waiting on delivery!
Planned upgrades: Runcore 16G or 32G SSD, 2GRAM, update Ubuntu, skin, sleeve, and case.

« Hi. New Owner here. | Hi all...a quick question »