Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 02-19-2009, 10:34 PM

My daughter is in college. She went with the Samsung NC10 rather than a Dell Mini 9 like mine, primarily for the slightly larger and more normal keyboard, since typing comfort was a primary factor for her. She loves her netbook in and out of the classroom. She is getting ebook versions of textbooks.

However, the Mini 9 with its SSD and fanless design is absolutely silent, a real plus in a classroom. I use my mini9 in meetings and the quiet, quick bootup is really nice, not disruptive. I'm not as good a typist, so the keyboard on the mini is ok with me.

White Mini 9 with 2 GB RAM and 64 GB RunCore SSD running Win7 RC1
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 02-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacrownprince
The right shift key is really small, but I always use the left shift key so it doesn't bother me. One thing that bothers me a lot and took a lot of getting use to is the quotation/apostrophe key is moved and it took me some time to get use to it. Hope that helps.
The apostrophe is the only thing throwing me off so far. I just find myself not using contractions. I have only had my mini for 2 days though, so I still need to give it time to get used to it.

So far I am only using my mini to surf the net while I am at work (like now), but I do plan on going back to school and I think this will be much better for notes and things. Like I said, I have only had this for 2 days, but I'm already loving it.

I got mine at Best Buy (it was the last one in stock), so I know that at least some are carrying them, so you should definitely look around and see if you can "practice" a bit. I browsed around this community for a few days and actually it was this place that finally made my decision to get the mini over something else. I haven't posted a lot, but I have learned so much from the people on this board, so I'm sure you will find it very helpful as well.

First time Mini 9 Owner. Purchased on 2/17/2009.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 02-21-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Because the main reason I bought the Dell Mini 9 is because with the SSD you can boot up windows xp in about 25 seconds. It shuts down in like 10 seconds, which is a big plus for taking notes in class, having to shut down and turn on the laptop often, so you won't miss any notes.
Oh wow, that will be just wonderful! I also like the idea of the SSD being sturdier than a traditional spinning drive. I'm a bit clutzy... every little bit helps. I'm the only person I know who's managed to kill a TI-84 through blunt force trauma ops:

I ordered a scratch and dent from Dell Outlet at 1gig RAM and 16Gig SSD. I'll let the hard drive alone for a while, but I'm definitely upgrading the ram ASAP. It should be here Wednesday. I'll be sure to post my sweet nothings about it here when it arrives LOL
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 02-21-2009, 05:16 AM

Good purchase. I'm kind of wishing I got a bigger SSD to start since the Runcores seem to be backordered constantly.

I'm a Mechanical Engineering student and the Mini is pretty sweet. I'm waiting on Dell to replace my defective battery, so right now the Mini isn't being used much since I don't always have a power outlet near my desk. Hopefully I get the battery soon!

Mine: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC | Carbon Fiber Skin
Hers: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC
Test: Black Mini 9 - 16GB STEC | 1GB RAM | 16GB SDHC | OSX
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 02-21-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srroos
Good purchase. I'm kind of wishing I got a bigger SSD to start since the Runcores seem to be backordered constantly.
you should probably consider investing in at least a 16g sdhc. just think, if you get a bigger ssd, what'll you do with your current ssd? getting an sdhc will be usable now as well as when you upgrade your ssd and 16g are fairly inexpensive now. (i've seen them as low as ~$23 shipped)
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 02-21-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
you should probably consider investing in at least a 16g sdhc. just think, if you get a bigger ssd, what'll you do with your current ssd? getting an sdhc will be usable now as well as when you upgrade your ssd and 16g are fairly inexpensive now. (i've seen them as low as ~$23 shipped)
Yea, that is probably be a good idea. I've got an 8GB SDHC card in there right now, which I'm sure I will fill shortly.

Mine: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC | Carbon Fiber Skin
Hers: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC
Test: Black Mini 9 - 16GB STEC | 1GB RAM | 16GB SDHC | OSX
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 02-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srroos

I'm a Mechanical Engineering student and the Mini is pretty sweet. I'm waiting on Dell to replace my defective battery, so right now the Mini isn't being used much since I don't always have a power outlet near my desk. Hopefully I get the battery soon!
I ordered the 32 GB RunCore SSD when it was backordered. Took about 10 days from the day I ordered it to it being shipped to my house. They don't charge your credit card until they ship it. So overall it is very nice. Here are the benefits of the RunCore over a SDHC plus your Stantec OEM SSD that is in your Dell Mini 9. The RunCore has much better performance speeds and when you install programs on SDHC it isn't as responsive. However, you would have to spend a lot more on a RunCore than a SDHC. So it just depends on what you're trying to do. What I did with my 8 GB OEM SSD is loaded Mac OSX on it. It is nice to have, but definitely not the operating system for me to use on a daily basis (therefore, not worth dual booting for me), so whenever I want to use Mac OSX I just switch out the SSD, which doesn't take long.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
..so whenever I want to use Mac OSX I just switch out the SSD, which doesn't take long.
wouldnt it be more convenient to install osx on an 8g jumpdrive?
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Hi all- netbook for student - 03-02-2009, 02:22 AM

I take it your daughters school doesn't have a list of minimum requirements for laptops? My sons school requires use of computers that meet course requirements for software you are required to have available. A mini would not meet his schools minimums, unfortunately.

But for a general purpose note-taking system - a mini is great.

« Password problem | A few questions. »