Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hi. New Owner here. - 02-18-2009, 11:41 PM

I actually found this site before I got my mini, but after checking out posts here (and tons and tons of research) I went ahead and got a mini to use for surfing the net at my incredibly boring job so I don't have to haul my 17inch laptop around. I got the one at Best Buy (Windows XP, 8GB SSD and 1GB mem.). I think I might get a 2GB mem. for it and a SDHC, but I don't know a whole lot about upgrading computers. There isn't a whole lot of space on this thing and even after deleting a lot of the useless stuff, I still only have about 3.5GB free space left. I don't know how to make more space, but since I'm not going to be using it for a "real" computer I am hoping that it won't be a huge problem.

Well, I look forward to browsing around this site more and learning more about the mini.

Kelly

First time Mini 9 Owner. Purchased on 2/17/2009.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Hi. New Owner here. - 02-19-2009, 01:06 AM

If you do upgrade to 2GB of memory you can shrink or even eliminate the page file in windows. This will free up a lot of space without a lot of work (It's very easy!). If you buy an SDHC card (an 8 or 16 GB class 6 would be ideal) you can install programs to the SDHC card instead of the SSD. I run Microsoft Office 2007 off of a 2GB SD card on an EEE Pc (which is a LOT slower than a Mini 9) with no problems at all. If you wanted to be really adventurous you could reinstall Windows using a program called Nlite to shrink it to a more reasonable size. This works nicely but requires a little more computer savvy. If you are willing to try there are lots of folks here who can help. You can actually shrink Windows to fit on less than 1GB. Enjoy the Mini - it's a wonderful little computer!

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Hi. New Owner here. - 02-19-2009, 03:27 AM

Hi, thanks for the ideas. I bought a 2GB memory and an 8GB Class 6 SDHC on newegg this evening, so I'll get those in a week or so.

I have no idea what a page file in windows is or how to shrink it, so I guess I will look around and see what I can find out about that. I've been reading about reinstalling with the Nlite, but I don't know if I'm ready for that.

(#4) Old

Default Re: Hi. New Owner here. - 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kje
I have no idea what a page file in windows is or how to shrink it, so I guess I will look around and see what I can find out about that. I've been reading about reinstalling with the Nlite, but I don't know if I'm ready for that.
Have fun, the Mini is great for tweaking and experimenting. You can find the page file by going to the control panel, opening "system", choose the advanced tab, in the Performance box click settings, then click the advanced tab, in the Virtual Memory box click change, and then you can specify a custom size or choose no page file. With 2GB of RAM you can get by quite well without the page file (it is a section of the hard drive that Windows sets aside to use as extra virtual memory) because Windows will probably never come close to using the whole 2GB of ram on the Mini.
As for Nlite, there are some very detailed installation instructions in the WIKI section of the EEE PC users forum which apply equally well to the Mini 9 with the exception of different hardware drivers. It isn't too difficult - if you want to try it you should give it a go before you get too much info on your Mini 9 that you would have to re-enter after installing the new OS. It can be a pain to keep setting up programs the way you like them and then having to do it over and over again!

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hi. New Owner here. - 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM

welcome aboard
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Hi. New Owner here. - 02-19-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobumc
Have fun, the Mini is great for tweaking and experimenting. You can find the page file by going to the control panel, opening "system", choose the advanced tab, in the Performance box click settings, then click the advanced tab, in the Virtual Memory box click change, and then you can specify a custom size or choose no page file. With 2GB of RAM you can get by quite well without the page file (it is a section of the hard drive that Windows sets aside to use as extra virtual memory) because Windows will probably never come close to using the whole 2GB of ram on the Mini.
As for Nlite, there are some very detailed installation instructions in the WIKI section of the EEE PC users forum which apply equally well to the Mini 9 with the exception of different hardware drivers. It isn't too difficult - if you want to try it you should give it a go before you get too much info on your Mini 9 that you would have to re-enter after installing the new OS. It can be a pain to keep setting up programs the way you like them and then having to do it over and over again!
Hey, thanks again for the advice and the information on the page file. I don't have the new memory yet, so maybe I'll do that for now. I will definitely research Nlite more. To be honest, I don't even really know what it is, other than a smaller version of XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty3089
welcome aboard
Thanks. I know I am going to learn a lot here.

(#7) Old

Default Re: Hi. New Owner here. - 02-20-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kje
To be honest, I don't even really know what it is, other than a smaller version of XP.
lol it's not really a smaller version of xp - it's an application used to reconfigure your xp installation. you can omit things your mini may not need or even have that are normally automatically installed (games, wallpapers, bluetooth support, etc etc) so you get to slim down the size of xp once it's installed.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Hi. New Owner here. - 02-20-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
lol it's not really a smaller version of xp - it's an application used to reconfigure your xp installation. you can omit things your mini may not need or even have that are normally automatically installed (games, wallpapers, bluetooth support, etc etc) so you get to slim down the size of xp once it's installed.
OK. So, it's like a custom XP? Well, like I said, I'll have to look into that more. I know there is a lot of stuff that I don't need or use that would be nice to get rid of. Thank you for the clarification.

« New owner | New / Soon To Be Owner: SSD swap question »