Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 02-18-2009, 07:22 AM

Hello,

Quick question here. I have problem downloading stuff. After every few days (restarts?) I have problems downloading the very first file. It only affects the first download. Every other attempt will complete OK within the session.
It goes like this. It freezes for about 2 minutes and the file is often corrupted when completed. Later it downloads OK.
Similar effect in both Firefox and IE...!
Any ideas? Maybe you saw it on your "other" computer and it would be good news that my MINI is OK but maybe some security software is the problem...
And the stuff I download is always legal files from trusted pages!
Any first thoughts?

Thanks!
/dim
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 02-18-2009, 01:45 PM

are you using any download managers?
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 02-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Hmm, I don't think so, since I am not even sure what they are. Unless they are included in the soft I have. Like Firefox or firewall/antivirus software.

/dim
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 02-18-2009, 09:43 PM

It's doubtful that the virus or firewall software is causing it, but you never know. What are you using?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 02-19-2009, 01:52 AM

Free editions of ZoneAlarm and AVG 8.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM

what ISP are you using? I was going to suggest testing the hard drive, but I really don't think it would cause and issue like this.

Do you have this issue if you run a cable, opposed to wifi? Give chrome or opera a try and see if they fix the issue.

edit: also, try disabling zone alarm and/or AVG to see if the problem continues. I've tried using ZA a few times and never really cared for it much, it always felt a little too paranoid for lack of better words. If it turns out to be the problem (which i doubt, but you never know), give sygate personal firewall a try. Great 2 way firewall and it has a very small footprint
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 02-19-2009, 04:30 PM

I will try disabling one of them, then other and re try. I use WiFi and plugging in the wire would require some furniture movement but may be worth it for sake of the tests.
My first thought - for some reason - was hard drive too actually. It kind of clogs first and then works - at least it looks like this.

How to test hard drive for lags like these?

/dim
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM

hmm i hate to suggest this, but maybe it's a janky install? i know when i vlited my win7, picking and choosing which components to include mighta messed up my windows functionality. every time i downloaded something, the file would disappear. i hadnt even included any virus scanners at the time so i know it wasnt that. after i reinstalled (bleh) with vlited settings that were known to work, i was able to download normally. so for last resorts, maybe you can try that (reinstalling your os, i mean).
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 03-22-2009, 03:22 PM

I'm still having problems with this but before I reinstall everything, maybe I should start using these download managers. What are those and is any 'default' one for Firefox?
Thanks!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 03-22-2009, 04:06 PM

Be sure to empty out all your temp internet files or better yet, use ccleaner. I've seen some pretty flaky behavior related to corrupted temp files

White Mini 9 with 2 GB RAM and 64 GB RunCore SSD running Win7 RC1

« How can I access BIOS on OSX Mini 9 to turn off BT ? | MSIWindosx386 10.5.6 install »