Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 03-22-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim7
Free editions of ZoneAlarm and AVG 8.
First thing - get rid of Zone Alarm. The current versions are crap, and causes more problems than it is intended to prevent. If you use Windows, the builtin firewall is more than sufficient. If you are on broadband, your router is in effect a hardware firewall (which is much better anyway) that will protect you. Closing open ports tyat could allow unauthorized access to your system is relatively easy to do and there are many sites that explain how to do so without resorting to programs like Zone Alarm.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 03-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim7
I'm still having problems with this but before I reinstall everything, maybe I should start using these download managers. What are those and is any 'default' one for Firefox?
Thanks!
if you go to mozilla.com, click on "add-ons" and then do a search for "flashgot." well, at least that's the one that i use. i doubt that that'll fix the problem though because the way that i think, if the browser cant even do a simple download, then that's a sign of a bigger problem. it shouldnt need a download manager to work. hmm..i guess something else you can try doing is downloading different types of files. try a text file first. then a jpeg. then an mp3. then a video..etc. if the most basic text file works, then it's most likely not your os install, but could be a memory issue (O_o).
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 04-21-2009, 12:11 PM

The thing is that it happens only once per session (the first time I try download). So I can only do one test per restart or per day...
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Downloading freezes for 2 minutes at first and corrupts - 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM

hahah that's weird. well, if you dont mind the nuisance, it sounds like something you can probably live with (if i were you, it'd drive me nuts tho. lol)

« How can I access BIOS on OSX Mini 9 to turn off BT ? | MSIWindosx386 10.5.6 install »