Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hello and Help Needed - 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM

I bought my mini9 in October, since then, I've sent it back to Dell 4 times to try and figure out what's wrong with it. I originally bought it with Ubuntu. It ran slow and sound and video skipped a lot the web browser would frequently freeze, allowing me to move the mouse, but not interract with the desktop. After this last trip to the tech center, they said that its not there problem and that I should contanct the manufacturer.

When I first received the laptop, it had a DOA hard drive, half the drive would fail the read\write tests in the dell diagnostics, they replaced it, but since then, the computer has run insanely slow.

In a last ditch effort, I bought a new copy of XP and installed it; had the same issues. It was painfully slow and the sound and video skip a lot. I downloaded the hard drive tool HD Tune. According to this tool, my hard drive has an average read speed of 1.5 MB\Sec, with a minimum of 0.7MB\s. This seems incredibly slow. I've seen pictures from reviews using this utility that got around 60MB\s; which is also what my desktop PC has.

I called Dell again, and they said that its my fault because I have the 8GB Hard drive and that I should expect XP to perform slower than Ubuntu.

Is there some special unpublished XP storage driver I need? Is this transfer rate how the drive should be performing? Will upgrading to a 16GB drive really make that faster?

I currently have:
Dell Mini 910
8GB SSD Hard Drive
2GB RAM (Upgraded from factory 512MB)
Currently formatted in XP Pro
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM

i'm not sure about xp's speed on the mini, but have you considered trying win7beta? i hate the idea that you just bought xp, but at least if you try win7 (MS took the download link off their website, but i'm sure there's a link to an iso somewhere on the net), you can narrow down where the problem may be. if win7 runs fine, the xp sucks on the mini. if win7 is also slow, then there's gotta be some hardware problem (cuz the consensus is that win7 runs best on the mini compared with all the other major os's). try using your old ram? try swapping out the ssd for another? etc etc). just take it a step at a time and you'll eventually discover where the problem is...hopefully

-edit-

oh, i have 8g stec, 2g crucial ram, and win7 beta. it runs pretty smoothly, but the only issue i had was that the finalizing step of installation took forever. it looked like the mini froze, but i just went away, watched a movie, and it was done when i came back
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I have access to the Win7Beta. I'm going to try that. Thanks for te suggestion. I was figuring that Windows7 would run worse because all the graphical bs. Don't suppose you'd be willing to pop HD Tune on yours and post what it says that your access time is?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM

sure, i'll give it a go when i get home from work tonite.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 02-17-2009, 10:47 PM

i hope i did this right.. here are the results:

transfer rate:
min 31.2
max 63.6
ave 57.0

acc time:
0.4ms

burst:

cpu:
16.7%

how does that compare to your's?
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 02-18-2009, 09:41 PM

I'm blown away. I did what you said and installed the Windows 7 beta on mine. I had my doubts, but magicaly the hard drive is performing at an average of 55 MB\sec. Once I upgraded the ram back to 2GB, its running so much better than it did in XP. I wonder if their XP driver for the hard drive is bad. I'm not experiencing any of the audio hangs or application freezes that I was in XP.

Now my problem is that I only have 980 MB of hard drive space left after installing Windows 7.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 02-18-2009, 10:09 PM

Windows 7 has specific file system optimizations for SSDs.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 02-19-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkoz
Now my problem is that I only have 980 MB of hard drive space left after installing Windows 7.
i'm glad your mini's no longer crawling along like molasses you may wanna check this thread though..

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2502

i also have an 8g ssd and was able to get my win7 install size down to 4g when it was done happy installing!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM

I just wanted to post an update on my latop. It was bad, after yelling at Dell tech support for 6 months, they finally sent me a new one and it works great.

I'm mad at Dell because, in my opinion, they tried to hide the mini 910's technical problems by allowing it to be shipped with Ubuntu and blaming Ubuntu for all the technical problems. I had several managers who, isntead of replacing my mini told me that it wasn't their fault and to go talk to the OS manufacturer.

In the end, I got a new unit, with a revised SSD, and it works great in XP.

This doesn't change the fact that I've been without a second working laptop, that I puchased and paid for six months ago. If Dell had admitted their problems with this new model, and replaced it with a new one back in October, LIKE I ASKED FOR REPEATEDLY, It would have saved me six months of frustration, hours of phone calls to Dell Tech Support, sending it in to the Depot 5 times, and getting yelled at by UNPROFESSIONAL managers at Dell for something that was THEIR FAULT.

I can't see how they're still in business. They've lost me permanently as a customer. If I had behaved this way in my job, I would have been fired and my clients would have abandoned me. At least my mini works now.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Hello and Help Needed - 03-20-2009, 02:33 AM

so have you decided to stick with xp? or going for win7?

« Guides to Dell Ubuntu? | Newbie questions about clean XP install on Mini 9 »