Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default SSD Speed & Comparison - 02-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Couple of questions regarding the SSD. I bought mine with 8 gigs here in Toronto. It came with XP.

1. speedwise, how will an 8 gig SSD on my Mini compare to a an Acer Aspire with its 160 gig HD?
2. speedwise, how will a runcore 32 gig SSD compare to the 8 gig one that came with my Mini?

My feeling is that an SSD with no moving parts must be faster than a HD, and that factored into me buying it. Also, with no other changes, can I expect my 32 gig runcore SSD to outperform the native 8 gig SSD that came with it? I see Runcore's banners on this site claiming 4-6x performance gains, and figure this is based solely on storage size and not on computing speed, right? Or WILL it speed up significantly (with no other adjustments besides swapping SSDs)?*

Thanks,
Matt
*Of course I will make other adjustments when I get my 32 gig SSD, like turning off compression and indexing, maybe tweaking something here and there like virtual memory, but for comparison purposes I want to disregard this...

Matt Garvin
http://www.redfrogconsulting.com
Red Mini 10v, WinXP, BT 2.1, 120GB HD
  (#2) Old

Default Re: SSD Speed & Comparison - 02-17-2009, 06:29 PM

i've read on some posts here that the runcores increase in speed along with capacity. and naturally(?), the runcores will be faster than the stecs (so we can just throw those out of the equation).. the 16runcore will be faster than its 8g counterpart, and the 32 will be faster than the 16..etc. i havent done any benchmarking, but i believe there are screencaps somewhere floating around in one of the topics here..

-edit-

here's one such topic..

runcore-16gb-drive,-not-that-fast--t3796.html
  (#3) Old

Default Re: SSD Speed & Comparison - 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
Thanks for the reply. Indeed I did come across that link. Contrary to how your message starts, that thread actually leans towards saying the Runcores are not that much faster than the STECs, so you should not "throw [the Stecs] out of the equation". In fact the thread starter, SlvrScoobie, mentions "the stec has much faster small file reads, even about 3x the speed at 1kb," although I don't know the real world implications of this.

Elsewhere in that thread is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dawson
It is true that the smaller the Runcore Drive the slower it is. 64GB 80/50 32GB 80/40 16GB 80/30
So you appear to be correct about the SSDs getting faster as size increases.

What I would love to see is one of these "bench mark graphs" where someone just swaps a 32Gb Stec for a 32Gb Runcore on the same machine. Anyway, I will do my own benchmarks comparing my current 8Gb Stec with the 32Gb Runcore I ordered, but we need a much bigger sample size.

Regarding my original question about SSDs versus traditional HDs, all the stuff I see on Google indicates an SSD is much faster, but I wish someone more technical than myself could chime in for these particular SSDs, and these particular Netbook-sized HDs (like the Acer Aspire with its 160 gig HD I mentioned.) The SSD was one of the reasons I bought a Dell Mini 9 over another Netbook, and I want some assurance that regarding speed, I made the right choice.

- Matt

Matt Garvin
  (#4) Old

Default Re: SSD Speed & Comparison - 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgarvin
"the stec has much faster small file reads, even about 3x the speed at 1kb," although I don't know the real world implications of this.
how slow can a 1kb file be possible read? and in light of that, how perceivable would that be to us?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: SSD Speed & Comparison - 02-23-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade099
how slow can a 1kb file be possible read? and in light of that, how perceivable would that be to us?
Thanks for the dialogue! It helps me sort stuff out.

And, let me say up front "I absolutely do not know" the answer to your questions, or my own.

But! We are talking about computers, which are super-complicated, and sometimes things that seem simple or even intuitive don't work out how you'd think.

For instance, although a 1k read would happen lightning quick, it may be that in EVERY read, whether it is 1k or 1Gb, it always take 1/10,000 of a second to "look up the address" of what you are reading (and the actual reading of data is possibly quicker), so the difference between small reads and big reads is actually not as significant as you would expect. Furthermore, possibly an OS -- for reasons I do not know -- actually performs hundreds of small reads and writes at a very "low level" all the time, like doing "housekeeping", and in fact small read/writes are 10x more common than big ones?

I don't have the technical knowledge to say if this is so, I am just mentioning scenarios where something that seems obvious or to be a "no brainer" is actually much more complicated and significant. Like perhaps a Stec performing 1k reads much faster than a Runcore.

Anyway, who knows? I am hoping a hardcore techie will jump in!

- Matt

Matt Garvin
  (#6) Old

Default Re: SSD Speed & Comparison - 02-23-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgarvin
..Furthermore, possibly an OS -- for reasons I do not know -- actually performs hundreds of small reads and writes at a very "low level" all the time, like doing "housekeeping", and in fact small read/writes are 10x more common than big ones?
lol yeah, i thought the exact same thing right after i posted my prev msg..but also figured that the majority of files today are larger than 1k? but ehhhh..i dunno. hahah i just hope i wont be crawling when i'm editing a file in notepad.

« installing xp through usb flash drive | Hello! »