Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Is it safe to overclock? - 02-15-2009, 09:21 AM

Is overclocking the components on a Mini 9 a good idea or is it likely to break it? It works fine with a lot of games I've played anyway...

Model: Dell Inspiron Mini 9
Memory: 1024 MB
SSD Size: 16 GB
Colour: Black
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-15-2009, 03:37 PM

I'd be concerned about elevated temperatures. The Mini's no-fan cooling approach was designed for typical CPU heat. Overclocking will increase the heat and there's no fan to spin faster. It would probably be good to run a temp monitoring utility such as SpeedFan to watch it. If the CPU core temp goes over 60C, I'd dial down the overclocking.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Using 100% CPU, my temp breaks 90C, and that's not overclocked sitting on a wood desk. Something starts to crap out around that temp. I don't think you really want to force this unless you have active cooling.

Mini 9|Obsidian Black|2GB RAM|16GB SSD|1.3MP|XP Pro!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-15-2009, 04:39 PM

@Yownanymous:

What were you thinking you would overclock, and how were you planning to go about it?

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | A05 | Win7 / OS X 10.5.6 Dual Boot | DellEFI 1.1 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore 70mm SSD | 4GB SDHC | Vodafone HSPA | 0.3mP webcam
Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | as above except: XP Pro SP3 | 250GB USB HDD
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stultus
Using 100% CPU, my temp breaks 90C, and that's not overclocked sitting on a wood desk. Something starts to crap out around that temp. I don't think you really want to force this unless you have active cooling.
I've read *somewhere* that the Atom will stop if reaches 99C-
here is from Intel n270 data sheet

and here is a guy that did OC his Atom n270 MSI wind.

I myself would be leery of running above 70C for any lengthy time
And I don't think it's safe to OC anything but I wouldn't let that stop me if I could do it.
If you're referring to this thread I think you're *safe*

I believe most of the heat is generated by the GPU anyway?? on these systems-GMA950

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Would be *cool* if something like this fan with no moving parts could be integrated into this scenario

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM

@jdizzle

I'm not sure the coretemp-reported value is "absolute" since just sitting at idle gives me ~73C (37C at cold boot in a root that's somewhere around 22C). I think there was a 25C offset people were talking about. Nonetheless, I'm slightly disappointed I can't run this at 100% everything forever (see my thread here).

To keep this more on topic to the OP's question, I think you could overclock, but I'm not sure you'd see much of a gain. I know there's setFSB to software overclock some netbooks, but I haven't heard of anyone using it for the Mini. For overclocking video, there's GMABooster (just search the forums for it).

Mini 9|Obsidian Black|2GB RAM|16GB SSD|1.3MP|XP Pro!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys, but it's really not a good idea I think. Besides, I don't really need to overclock it.

Model: Dell Inspiron Mini 9
Memory: 1024 MB
SSD Size: 16 GB
Colour: Black
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-18-2009, 02:19 AM

Overclocking is never really "safe" and I wouldn't do it to the mini9 but most of my desktops are overclocked ranging from mildly, to close to insane amounts.

My rule of thumb is never overclock something unless you are willing to break it. :twisted:

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Is it safe to overclock? - 02-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stultus
@jdizzle

I'm not sure the coretemp-reported value is "absolute" since just sitting at idle gives me ~73C (37C at cold boot in a root that's somewhere around 22C). I think there was a 25C offset people were talking about. Nonetheless, I'm slightly disappointed I can't run this at 100% everything forever (see my thread here).

To keep this more on topic to the OP's question, I think you could overclock, but I'm not sure you'd see much of a gain. I know there's setFSB to software overclock some netbooks, but I haven't heard of anyone using it for the Mini. For overclocking video, there's GMABooster (just search the forums for it).
I was always under the impression that coretemp's temperatures were the actual core temps, while speedfan gave a case ambient temperature (hence the need for a +15* offset when using speedfan)?

either way, overclocking these miniature furnaces seems like a very very bad idea (with the vanilla cooling solution at least)

« Greetings... | Loose power cord? »