Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Question about SSD - 02-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Although I purchased the mini 9 mainly for personal use, I also have a few tests that I need to run, using a solid state drive. Our company sells computerize cutting machines which comes with a software package. Our software allows our users to install on 2 different computers before having to purchase another license. About a week ago, one of my customers called with an issue where her computer's machine ID had actually chaged (which disabled the license on her computer). Come to find out, she was running on a different netbook (Also SSD)

I guess my question is, is this a possible issue with SSD? Ill find out soon enough, but Im still going to need to find some form of a solution for this in the near future. :ugeek:

(#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-12-2009, 08:12 PM

I don't understand what the SSD has to do with this. As far as the OS is concerned, it's a hard disk. You say that the customer was running on a different machine - wouldn't that need a separate license? How do you enforce the two-system limit?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-12-2009, 11:58 PM

Well, Our software allows for 2 completely separate Machine IDs before another license would be needed. Once the software is installed and the software opened, it asks you to register. The software grabs the computer's machine ID and you also enter an activation PIN. In this instance, the customer installed on a desktop, and then installed in on her netbook. It was working until she did a system restore. Apparently, it changed the machine ID of her netbook. The only thing I can think of is that the system restore somehow altered the machine ID, but I have never seen this happen with a regular HDD.

(#4) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-13-2009, 12:20 AM

Could the generic Dell Windows activation number cause the problem? When she input her number on the bottom of the netbook after restore, could that be enough to trigger the activation limit?

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD 1GB memory 1.3mp Web Cam
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-13-2009, 12:54 AM

What specifically is "machine ID"? For many programs, that's an Ethernet MAC address. I could easily imagine that doing a system restore would change something in the registry that your program depends on.

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-13-2009, 01:43 AM

The machine ID is some sort of electronic signature, (not a physical serial number on a sticker of the computer) I believe it is based off of the CPU. (Bear with me on this.. Im not an actual programmer and am unsure if this is an arbitrary number generated by our software guys or not) All I really know, for sure, is that this number was seemingly altered after she did a system restore.

Either way, I don't mean to trouble anyone with this :lol: Ill find out for sure, once my mini shows up. I just didn't know if anyone here might of had some insight on the matter. This lady's netbook isn't even a Dell.. I just want to do full testing so I can offer a suggestion on what netbook to get if they choose to buy one for use with our system :P So far, The overall rating of the mini 9 is higher than what I've seen for some of the other options out there.

(#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-13-2009, 02:09 AM

It won't be based on the CPU - the CPU doesn't have a readable serial number. There are many schemes for this sort of thing, sometimes based on the system disk serial number (which may well have changed when the restore was done) plus other characteristics. From the point of view of your application, the SSD is no different from a spinning hard disk.

Steve
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-13-2009, 03:12 AM

You might look at Windows activation schemes. It is designed to need reactivating if you make major hardware changes like a motherboard and one or two other devices at the same time. Small changes like memory or video cards are not supposed to affect it. Sometimes this is not always true. I bet its the same problem here.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD 1GB memory 1.3mp Web Cam
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-18-2009, 02:23 AM

The big thing here is figuring out how the "Machine ID" generated or where it is read from. Without that info I don't think we can go any further. If you let us know where you're getting that number we could probably figure out what's happening.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-19-2009, 01:49 AM

Well, the SAME customer that had the problem on her netbook just sent me an email on monday morning. They ended up jacking up their laptop and ran a system restore on that which did the exact same thing -- Changed the Machine ID. This tells me that it has nothing to do with SSD. It also tells me that my customer is very mean to computers :lol:

« RAM | New owner »