Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoroc
Well, the SAME customer that had the problem on her netbook just sent me an email on monday morning. They ended up jacking up their laptop and ran a system restore on that which did the exact same thing -- Changed the Machine ID. This tells me that it has nothing to do with SSD. It also tells me that my customer is very mean to computers :lol:
It also tells us that your company's method of identifying a particular computer is defective if System Restore changes something it depends upon! It almost sounds like it is using the old (and stupid) trick of depending on a particular file staying in a specific location on the disk.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#12) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Remember that System Restore is essentially a complete reinstall of the OS, wiping out everything that was on the disk before. No surprise that it might change things.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-19-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Remember that System Restore is essentially a complete reinstall of the OS, wiping out everything that was on the disk before. No surprise that it might change things.
No, it's not. It is a rollback of changes which have been made to your system.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-19-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoroc
Well, the SAME customer that had the problem on her netbook just sent me an email on monday morning. They ended up jacking up their laptop and ran a system restore on that which did the exact same thing -- Changed the Machine ID. This tells me that it has nothing to do with SSD. It also tells me that my customer is very mean to computers :lol:
It also tells us that your company's method of identifying a particular computer is defective if System Restore changes something it depends upon! It almost sounds like it is using the old (and stupid) trick of depending on a particular file staying in a specific location on the disk.
Not sure what the exclamations are all about... Firstly, we don't make the software ourselves. We employ another company to make our software. I also don't see how its stupid. Was your post supposed to serve as a suggestion or just an insult?

(#15) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Question about SSD - 02-20-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisg
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
No, it's not. It is a rollback of changes which have been made to your system.
I suppose it depends on which "System Restore" is meant here. If it's the Windows feature, then I agree with you. If It's a reinstall from the "Restore" CD, which is what I read it as, then it's a whole new OS.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« RAM | New owner »