Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default dell mini 9 ssd - 12-17-2015, 12:07 PM

Hi guys,

The 8gb ssd just failed on my dell mini 9, I bought an InnoDisk Innolite mSata D150G 16Gb SSD to replace the broken ssd. I installed into the mini 9 but when I power up the screen flashes then turns the system off completely, even the charging light goes off, anyone had this happen to them or know what I can do

TIA
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 12-17-2015, 03:24 PM

The SSD you bought is not compatible with the Mini 9. That slot is NOT mSATA, and it isn't really even MiniPCIe. Mini 9 SSDs are IDE (PATA) and Dell wired the socket in a custom manner. The only SSDs that will work are those where the manufacturer says explicitly they are for the Mini 9. Probably the only brand you can find nowadays is Kingspec.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-25-2016, 03:59 PM

i got my dell mini some months ago from someone for free

it had a dual with 128GB ssd,
it works like a charm

i upgraded mine to 2GB 600mhz ddr2 ram
and have win10 installed

i also used a better wifi card (8011.11bgn)
  (#4) Old

Default 07-31-2016, 06:07 PM

DB. I actually have a question for you (this time). i'm having issues with my Mini 1010 as where my SSD runs like cold molasses. I was told that if I had a Sata Mode in my BIOS, changing it from IDE to AHCI would solve my problem (unfortunately, this is a common problem for IDE users). Dell, in their grand splendor, felt that even if they gave you HDMI capability, they will NOT give you a SATA option or increased your shared video memory. do you know of anybody who has a Mini 1010 with a modded BIOS for both SATA modes & GPU fixes? hit me back when you get a sec. & thank you. Peace. & God bless you & yours.

A-Weapons..South Bronx, NYC..
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 07-31-2016, 07:49 PM

Aweapons, I saw your private message to me but a forum glitch prevents me from responding that way.

I don't know anyone who has modified the BIOS for the 1010 (or any of the other Minis), and adding an AHCI mode is, I think, beyond the capability of a modder working only with the BIOS binary. I'm also skeptical that changing to AHCI would suddenly make your SSD perform better in any noticeable way given the CPU you have. A lot of the limitations come from the chipset and not the BIOS.

What tends to happen with these older SSDs is that their internal tables fill up and can only be recovered if TRIM mode is supported or Secure Erase, but your SSD supports neither of these.

Your drive is already SATA. You could replace the drive and probably would find better performance.

I'll also note for others reading that while this forum section is about the Mini 9 (910), Aweapons is asking about the Mini 10 (1010) model which is VERY different.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« issue with mini 9 | - »