Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Will this work? - 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Hi all,
Quick question... I've been reading this board for a few weeks now and reading other reviews, etc. ... There is always conflicting info and opinions. SO, here is my question - I am planning on buying the mini 9 with the 32gb SSD , Linux Ububtu and the 512mb RAM (upgrading it to 2GB right away) . I also have a 16 GB SD Card, Large external HD & external cd/dvd. I plan on installing XP Pro on this set-up. Should this be alright? Will the 32gb/2gig Ram work with XP pro? and how should the SSD be formated... NTFS or FAT32 ?
THANKS!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Will this work? - 02-11-2009, 03:52 PM

XP Pro is not a problem. It runs very well on the Mini 9.

I used NTFS when I had XP on my system. There is a lot of discussion on what format to use in the forums

It worked great with 1GB of Ram and also 2GB ram.

Dell Mini 9, Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OSX 10.5.6
Old Config: Dell Mini 9, Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, Dual Boot Windows XP Pro SP3/ 7 Beta.
Older Config: Dell Mini 9, Black, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Will this work? - 02-11-2009, 05:54 PM

i think most (if not all) the users who bought runcore ssds say they're WAAAAY faster than the STEC that comes with the mini. so i'd suggest you buy the 512ram and 4g ssd and then upgrade both. and since matt (the guy from mydigitaldiscount) says that there's a shipment of 32g runcores coming in next week, it would seem the iron's hot. but if the ssd's speed isnt an issue for you, then the stec should work just fine.

-- edit --

oh yeah, as for the ntfs or fat32 question. fat32 has a 4g cap on file sizes..so if you wanted to transfer an iso or whatever file onto your ssd which is over 4g, then you've got a problem. and i've also heard (cant verify) that ntfs is supposedly faster? i dunno..but that's just what i've heard..

« Can't connect to te internt, just got my dell mini9 Ubuntu | Bonjourno mon amis! »