Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default XP Re-install - 02-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Will be receiving my Dell Mini this Monday and excited to get it running smoothly and nice. Going light on aftermarket upgrades to begin with, just 2 GB RAM and a RunCore may come later.

I have a 16 GB SSD and it's coming preloaded with XP. I understand the advice is to re-install XP with nLite to make it run a lot better and less bloated. Would I be able to do that with the current license key it shipped with? I don't have a spare unused license key around and would really like it to be genuine.

Any help/advice is appreciated, thank you.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: XP Re-install - 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Well, maybe some people's advice is to do that, but not mine. Feel free to uninstall the small amount of added software if you don't want it. Otherwise, I would suggest you leave the XP install there and live with it for a while.

As long as you "Nlite" from XP Home, which you are licensed for, you'd be ok. If you downloaded an install of a different edition, that would not be ok.

You could also do what a lot of us have done and download the beta of Windows 7 - do it quickly before they cut it off.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: XP Re-install - 02-08-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
You could also do what a lot of us have done and download the beta of Windows 7 - do it quickly before they cut it off.
I have Windows 7 beta running on my desktop and I love it. I saved/preserved my original XP install and used a 3rd HDD for the beta. Makes it easier to switch back when the test ends. One cool thing about it ive found is it supports and recognizes my 4 gigs of RAM where I could only have 2 gigs installed with XP. Looking forward to the release of this one and it will improve even further with a PCI-E x 16 GPU installed.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: XP Re-install - 02-08-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Some-what Evil
it supports and recognizes my 4 gigs of RAM where I could only have 2 gigs installed with XP.
Did you install the x64 version of Windows 7? That's why you see 4GB. 32-bit Windows can see 3GB. I have not installed 32-bit W7 on a system with 4GB to see how it behaves.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: XP Re-install - 02-08-2009, 01:28 AM

Standard 32 bit install with no issues except needing the inf files for my motherboard which were easily had at Intel. I also used the Vista based drivers for the other things Video, Audio, LAN ... you get te point but it installed its own video driver instead of mine, didnt like Intels for some reason.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid

« Mini 9 Ubuntu Beginner's Guide | My mini 9 today arrived today »