Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New Mini 9 Owner - 02-05-2009, 07:21 AM

I picked up a barebones refurb from the outlet (512MB RAM, 4GB SSD, No BT, No Cam) for the low, low price of $200, including taxes and CA fees. Not bad. Should be arriving tomorrow. I can't wait!

I've already got a 2GB stick of RAM on hand, along with an 8GB Class 6 SDHC. Do you guys think that will be enough storage with hibernation and the pagefile disabled?

I'd like to run Windows XP on it since most of the apps I use are Windows based. I've already slipstreamed SP3 into an image of XP then used nLite to get rid of a lot of extra stuff. I based the nLite configuration on an Eee PC install, will that work? Is there anything that the Mini 9 would need that the Eee wouldn't? (drivers aside of course)

As far as upgrades go, how much faster is the RunCore SSD over the OEM? Is the internal BT module worth it over a USB dongle? Will the switch still disable a USB BT dongle? The webcam seems like a tougher thing to add after purchase. Again, is it worth it? The resolution is pretty low isn't it?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to leaving the Vostro 1400 at home for something much lighter.

Mine: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC | Carbon Fiber Skin
Hers: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC
Test: Black Mini 9 - 16GB STEC | 1GB RAM | 16GB SDHC | OSX
  (#2) Old

Default Re: New Mini 9 Owner - 02-05-2009, 01:42 PM

yeah, people on this forum have given the stock integrated webcam (which i assume you were considering adding on later) is a piece of junk. i dunno if you wanna drill up your mini just to install something that will do you (and everyone else) no justice
  (#3) Old

Default Re: New Mini 9 Owner - 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM

Yea, I meant the stock webcam.

The mini is here and I've already dumped Ubuntu for an nLite XP install, which is running now. The install came out to be 1.7GB on a test virtual machine, which included OpenOffice, VLC + Codecs, plus a ton of utilities. Looks like I might even have room to try some more powerful stuff.

Still tempted by that RunCore though. Does the higher speed mean more power consumption?

Mine: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC | Carbon Fiber Skin
  (#4) Old

Default Re: New Mini 9 Owner - 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM

I have the 0.3 megapixel webcam on my mini, and it's really not that bad. If a high quality/resolution webcam on a netbook is important to you, you might need to get an external webcam, but otherwise the Dell (actually Creative) cam is suitable for most. Member SickPup404 has all the info for ordering & installing the bluetooth and webcam HERE, including parts numbers and prices, and pictures.

I would recommend getting a Runcore SSD, at least a 16 GB one. You may have some space left on your 4 GB drive now, but after several windows updates and your "more powerful stuff", that space will quickly dwindle down. The Runcore drives are definitely faster than stock, not sure about power consumption, but it's not very noticeable to me at least.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: New Mini 9 Owner - 02-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srroos
I picked up a barebones refurb from the outlet (512MB RAM, 4GB SSD, No BT, No Cam) for the low, low price of $200, including taxes and CA fees. Not bad. Should be arriving tomorrow. I can't wait!

I've already got a 2GB stick of RAM on hand, along with an 8GB Class 6 SDHC. Do you guys think that will be enough storage with hibernation and the pagefile disabled?

I'd like to run Windows XP on it since most of the apps I use are Windows based. I've already slipstreamed SP3 into an image of XP then used nLite to get rid of a lot of extra stuff. I based the nLite configuration on an Eee PC install, will that work? Is there anything that the Mini 9 would need that the Eee wouldn't? (drivers aside of course)

As far as upgrades go, how much faster is the RunCore SSD over the OEM? Is the internal BT module worth it over a USB dongle? Will the switch still disable a USB BT dongle? The webcam seems like a tougher thing to add after purchase. Again, is it worth it? The resolution is pretty low isn't it?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to leaving the Vostro 1400 at home for something much lighter.
The Fn hotkey switch does NOT disable a USB BT dongle. I really think it IS worth it to upgrade to that! As far as SSD, I got the 16GB and I have a little over 9GB free, so as along as you're more careful than me (!), you should be good with the SSD & SDHC!

(BTW - Thanks for the plug, Fallstar! )
  (#6) Old

Default Re: New Mini 9 Owner - 02-05-2009, 11:52 PM

Well, I've got a heavily nLited XP install on my new Mini 9, but even with the Dell Battery driver and Switch app I can't get wireless or the battery to work. Anyone had a similar problem? Perhaps I am missing something critical that was removed with nLite?

(#7) Old

Default Re: New Mini 9 Owner - 02-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Alright, I made up a less aggressive nLite and made sure that the proper PC type was selected and it looks like everything is working. Now to get everything looking good and running smooth.

BTW, I found OpenOffice installer files in two separate documents folders. Deleted those for a big space savings. Anything else I should look for to clean up?

(#8) Old

Default Re: New Mini 9 Owner - 02-06-2009, 10:14 PM

Horay my new mini 9 has arrived. Taken a while to link it up and download all my programs but now it is sweat as a nut!!

« While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's | Hey Low!!!!!!! »