Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Newbie display question - 02-04-2009, 10:37 PM

I just received my refurb Mini 9. I love it but I'm having problems with some windows being displayed on the the monitor. Many times a window will pop up which is too large for the display and can not be minimized. This is most anoying when at the bottom of the window conatins a button I need to click on to proceed or end. Since I cant move the window far enough up to click I therefore end up tabbing and hitting enter and hoping I hit the right button.

My question is- Is this a problem with the small display of all mini 9's or just mine?
-If it is common how do you work around it?

I tried searching for problems like this on the forum and couldn't find any. I've also made as many changes to the display as I could, small fonts, high resolution, 32 bit, etc.

Any ideas or should I check the return policy at Dell.

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Newbie display question - 02-04-2009, 11:21 PM

Are you running Windows or some flavor of linux (Ubuntu possibly)?

In Ubuntu, you can hold down Alt (I think) and click and drag your window around so you can see what you need to.

Dell Mini 9 - Black, 2gb RAM, 16gb SSD, webcam, Ubuntu 9.10 & Windows XP
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Newbie display question - 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM

I'm running Windows XP. It's something I can live with because it seems the main problem is during software installs but can be very difficult during the installation. Installing Norton Ani-virus was the worst. Almost every window during the installation was too large to click on any buttons at he bottom of its window. Lots of tabbing and hoping I clicked on the right button. Very strange.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Newbie display question - 02-05-2009, 01:46 PM

if you can see the top of the window, try double clicking on the title bar to maximize it. the window _should_ then take up your entire display area and allow you to scroll down to where the buttons are. but yeah, i'm not sure about windows that are a fixed size (ie. norton's stuff) :/
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Newbie display question - 02-05-2009, 09:17 PM

You can also try hiding the task bar, or dragging your task bar to the left/right sides.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Newbie display question - 02-07-2009, 05:27 PM

You can go to the Display Properites -> Settings tab -> Advanced -> DPI setting -> Normal size (96 DPI).

You get to the Display Properties through the control panel, or by right-clicking the desktop -> Properties.

This completely solved the problem for me. I haven't had a single window go off the screen in over a month.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Newbie display question - 02-12-2009, 08:30 PM

If the displayed window is a fixed size, then you may have to resort to moving the window so that it goes off the top edge of your screen therefore allowing you to see the buttons.

You can use your keyboard to do this:

1 - Make sure the window you want to move is active (or "in focus") by clicking on it.

2 - Press ALT-SPACEBAR. A submenu appears in the top-left of the windows.

3 - Use your mouse or your keyboard's arrow keys to select Move.

4 - Use the arrow keys to manually move the window to where you want it.

5 - Press enter to turn off the Move function.

I used to have to do this all the time back when I had my Home Theater PC connected to my rear-projection TV which was running at 720x480 resolution.

Dell Inspiron 1750, T6600, 4GB RAM, Wireless N
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Newbie display question - 02-13-2009, 01:34 AM

Wow, that's great, thanks for posting that TD99...I would have never thought of doing that.

« Adding a new language | Manual Opening in Notepad »