Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 02:00 AM

Hi guys,

I'm very new to the Dell Mini. I realize it's a "netbook," but I'm wondering if it's something I can use at university, specifically while using OneNote.

- So firstly, can the Dell Mini support OneNote (without getting overburdened)?

- Just as importantly, I don't believe the Dell Mini comes with a CD drive, so how do I install new software such as OneNote?

That's all for now. Thanks for all your help over here.

-potato
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 02:06 AM

I upgraded the RAM on my mini9 to 2GB. I have MS Office 2007 installed and all components work fine under Win XP, including OneNote.

White Mini 9 with 2 GB RAM and 64 GB RunCore SSD running Win7 RC1
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 02:08 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but how would one go about installing the software for OneNote? Would I have to purchase the software pre-installed, or is there a way to install it at a later time?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 02:18 AM

If you have access to another computer, you can share its CD drive over the network and install onto the Mini. That's how I installed Office.

Mini 9|Obsidian Black|2GB RAM|16GB SSD|1.3MP|XP Pro!
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 02:27 AM

:shock: That sounds amazing. Thank you for the information.

One extra question - Is it possible to upgrade to 2GB RAM through a Dell website purchase? I did a quick customization for a Dell Mini 9 (starting price $349) and was not given a 2GB RAM upgrade option (only up to 1GB in this case).
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 02:45 AM

The 2gb upgrade through dell is not possible as far as I know. However the 1gb upgrade is the same price as getting a good 2gb chip off newegg. Don't be intimidated by installing your own ram, I could do it in under a minute I'd say.

I guess that Linux has just spoiled me with how easy it is to make an .iso of anything. That and repositories make the way software is handled in other platforms at the moment seem like a joke.

Sharing the CD drive over the network sounds like a good idea, and actually a very "Macbook Air" solution. For giggles though how about making an .iso of the disk and dropping it on to a USB stick? Honestly I've never encountered such an issue before without linux at my side. So I'm kind of without an answer whether that would work.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circs
The 2gb upgrade through dell is not possible as far as I know. However the 1gb upgrade is the same price as getting a good 2gb chip off newegg. Don't be intimidated by installing your own ram, I could do it in under a minute I'd say.

Sharing the CD drive over the network sounds like a good idea, and actually a very "Macbook Air" solution. For giggles though how about making an .iso of the disk and dropping it on to a USB stick? Honestly I've never encountered such an issue before without linux at my side. So I'm kind of without an answer whether that would work.
Thanks so much for your input. I'll look into buying one from newegg. I discovered this guide: http://mydellmini.com/forum/2gb-ram-...-t78.html#p354 right when you replied to me.

I'll also look into making an .iso. Because I'm primarily buying this to run OneNote, I'll most likely be running Windows on my Mini. Such a shame. ops:
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 03:19 AM

Each their own. glad to have helped out in any way though

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 03:19 AM

I just bought a stick of Patriot memory on newegg for 19.99 (free shipping). No need to pay more than that as they're all the same.

Mini 9|Obsidian Black|2GB RAM|16GB SSD|1.3MP|XP Pro!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini and OneNote - 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM

I've found the best way to install programs is to dump the CD contents to a USB stick then use that directly on the netbook for installing. Much quicker than sharing a CD drive over a network.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.

« Upgrading RAM - is it really worth it? | OS Question »