Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Bought my first Dell Mini 9 - 02-03-2009, 01:32 AM

By pure chance I found out about the 15% Dell Outlet coupon and immediately started refreshing for a good deal on a Mini 9 - ended up getting an Alpine White Mini 9 with XP, 8GB SSD, and 1GB RAM. This ends up being my 3rd ultraportable (had an old EeePC 4g Surf, gave that one away to a family member and I'm the current owner of an 2008 OLPC XO).

I'm planning on using this system for Java development mostly (Just started a new job as a Java developer) but hope to make this machine even better (taking a computer security class, I would love to turn this little beast into a force to be reckoned with ). I've already prepped a Ubuntu 8.10 USB flash drive and have ordered a 2GB RAM module as well as an ipw3945 wireless card to replace the Broadcom wireless card that comes standard in the Mini 9. The Intel wireless tends to be more Linux-friendly and I want the ability to run Kismet without pulling my hair out. Having a wireless card that supports wireless packet injection is a nice bonus too.

Anyone running the Eclipse IDE on their Mini 9? If so, how's the speed? Also, how snappy is the standard SSD in Ubuntu 8.10? I'm probably going to upgrade to a 64GB Runcore one of these days, but I dunno if it's absolutely necessary and wouldn't mind avoiding the extra cost. I did purchase a Seagate FreeAgent Go 120GB external hard drive to store large files that wouldn't fit onto the SSD and I plan on getting an 8 or 16GB SDHC card to make as my home folder.

« Models with Bluetooth? | Do I need a mouse? »