Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's - 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM

So I recently got turned on to this machine, and I'm going to get one (as soon as the outlet recovers from the latest coupon), but I have a few general questions.

I've been doing some reading on doing a dual boot setup and while I know my way around a computer (been a tech for over 12 years), I don't feel like going through the hassle of setting two OS's up on a single SSD. Basically, the plan is to install OSX on an upgraded Runcore and then install a simple XP load on an SDHC card for the SOLE purpose of GPS navigation (thanks to that brilliant internal GPS mod). Is this even possible? Can you load an OS on to an SDHC card and boot from it?

On the external optical drive. I have a SATA/USB adapter and a full size SATA DVDRW drive sitting around. it performs flawlessly as an external drive in windows.....but....can I use that for the OS installs on the Mini or do I need to consider buying a specific external drive?

I'm ready for the outlet to catch up though. I've already bought the 2GB DDR stick and a 16GB SDHC card. This week will probably order the upgraded SSD.

Thx for the awesome forum, and the help.

-Prime

Black Mini 9 | A04 | 2GB | 32GB Runcore | OS X 10.5.8 | NBI 0.8.3
Wake on USB/Legacy USB: Off | Bluetooth: Not Installed
  (#2) Old

Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's - 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Perhaps this thread may help
  (#3) Old

Default Re: While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's - 02-04-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Can you load an OS on to an SDHC card and boot from it?
i asked that same question today..

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3254

but the simple answer is nope :/ you can load the os on the card, but the bios doesnt recognize the slot as a bootable device.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's - 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Welcome to the forums. From experience I can tell you that once you have one and decide you want to try running a second OS on it (via dual-boot, drive-swapping, whatever), there's a good chance you'll quickly come to the conclusion that it'll just be cheaper/easier to order a second one (hey, it's only 200 bucks!). Plus you get the added benefit of multiple batteries and power supplies. If you end up going that route, I'd suggest you order a different color (again, I speak from experience here ).
  (#5) Old

Default Re: While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's - 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Well, shoot. I guess if you can't boot from the SDHC, I'll try recycle the 8GB thumb drive as an XP load once I install OSX. hehe. I just really don't want the hassle of a dual boot setup on the SSD. I wouldn't be using XP for ANYTHING but GPS, so I'm not that worried about it. That being said, hopefully will be getting in line for the 32GB Runcore and ordering my 9 later this week.

(#6) Old

Default Re: While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's - 02-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Wouldn't it be viable to install a thumbdrive internally with the usb hub mod? I mean you are going to be in there to put in the GPS, so why not just mount a thumbdrive in there while your at it and boot XP off of that. I plan on doing both the GPS and internal thumb drive, just waiting for all parts to come in, got a switch for the gps to have it come on when I enable bluetooth from one of the members here, and just this morning ordered a relitively fast thumbdrive for $15 after rebate from newegg (check slickdeals.net front page for link) and am looking for a good price on the GPS module... Also have been soldering a bunch of junk spare parts I have to practice so I don't fry my mini in the process
  (#7) Old

Default Re: While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's - 02-05-2009, 09:45 PM

I might do that. I've got no qualms about soldering small components, and like you said, I'm gonna do the GPS mod anyway, so the internal USB port might be a viable solution.

Also, the outlet stock is back up, so once I run to the bank tonight, I should be ordering.

(#8) Old

Default Re: While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's - 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Well w/ the price drop on the "New" Mini9, I just ordered one of those. Base 4G/512. I've already got the 2GB stick sitting here and the 8GB thumbdrive to do the OSX install should be here today. Now I just have to wait on the Runcore drive.

On a side note, how can the outlet be offering referbs at the $249 price point when the NEW units are selling for the same price?

« Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? | New Mini 9 Owner »