Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New Dell Mini 9 - Windows Network / Wireless / Bluetooth - 02-01-2009, 05:48 PM

Hi all

I just got my new Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu (which I am new to) and have started playing around with it. Swapped out the RAM for 2GB and will update to a Runcore 32Gb SSD when someone gets some stock here in the UK. In the meantime I am sticking with the stock Dell Ubuntu while I get used to things. However, at the moment I have three problems

1 - How do i get it to talk to my Windows network. For the sake of assistance, The network is called Workgroup and the Server (running Windows Home Server) is called server. The username is user and the password is password. I appreciate it will never be quite the same as a WHS to Windows XP or Vista relationship but surely the Dell Mini should be able to open files from and store files to the server.

I can mount a folder from the server (say my documents) and see the files and sub folders within it but when I click on, say, a word document, Open Office appears to start (i.e. the OO splash screen comes up) but it doesn't actually start and the document doesn't open. If I copy the document from the folder onto the Mini then all seems Ok and I can access the document. If I mount a videos folder, I can get a video to open and play in Totem (very shakily) but it won't open in VLC. If I copy the file to the Mini, it plays just fine in VLC. I am totally confused.

2 - I have problems with the Network Manager. Sometimes it (i.e. the network icon) starts on start up and sometimes it doesn't. If my network is on then generally it starts up and finds it. If the router is turned off then it doesn't start up and I can't find an option to get it started and force it to look for networks. The strength indicator is four grey bars but i thought they were supposed to be blue and despite the network SSID being called DPC2009 if I hover the cursor over the grey bars the yellow message is "Wireless network connection to '(none)' " - why is it not saying .....connection to 'DPC2009'

3 - Is there anyway to stop Bluetooth coming on by default. I don't want it all the time and surely by being on it wastes battery. I have found that I can turn it off through aircraft manager but that is a real PITA to have to do this every time I turn it on.

Finally, please can someone confirm that the Ubuntu disc that came with the Mini is the Dell version of Ubuntu as the disk gives no indication of that and just looks like a plain Canonical Ubuntu disk.

Thanking you all for any assistance

Delboy
  (#2) Old

Default Re: New Dell Mini 9 - Windows Network / Wireless / Bluetooth - 02-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Don't have Ubuntu, so I can't address your other problems, but regarding your first question, I had a similar experience. I set up a network, and all the computers either had Windows XP Home or Pro. There was no server, but there was a file server. I had the same problems you're describing about not being able to properly handle files over the network (but if you copy it over, it's fine). There was basically only one OS, so I doubt your problems have anything to do with the fact that you're running 2 OS's, rather I think it must be in the network configuration.

One thing I did notice that helped, though did not solve the problem completely, was to map a folder over the network to appear as a local drive. IIRC, QuickBooks wouldn't open the file over the network, but would on the mapped drive... even though the file was in the same location.

Perhaps doing so may help your situation, but I can't help you there.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: New Dell Mini 9 - Windows Network / Wireless / Bluetooth - 02-02-2009, 06:23 PM

No, it must be an Ubuntu thing. I have 2 Pcs & 4 laptops connecting to my network and (from time to time when they are staying) I log various family laptops on to it to update them etc. All are using either XP or Vista and all can use the server and files on other clients on the network with full functionality. It's only this Ubuntu Dell Mini that can't use it properly.

Beginning to think I should just ditch Ubuntu and load XP
  (#4) Old

Default Re: New Dell Mini 9 - Windows Network / Wireless / Bluetooth - 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM

But on the Ubuntu system, can you map a directory on the server to a drive letter? If yes, try that and see if the problem persists.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: New Dell Mini 9 - Windows Network / Wireless / Bluetooth - 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM

I can mount the folder which I think is the linux equivalent of mapping
  (#6) Old

Default Re: New Dell Mini 9 - Windows Network / Wireless / Bluetooth - 02-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Anyone got any ideas. The network thing is driving me demented.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: New Dell Mini 9 - Windows Network / Wireless / Bluetooth - 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM

If you can't get the answers you're looking for, the guys at my old home are good, and there's much more traffic at that site.

« Do I need a mouse? | Mini9/wireless frustration »