Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? - 01-31-2009, 06:18 PM

Is this recommended or not? I don't know if they just try to use the rebate to lure you in even though you have to sign a 2 year commitment?

Did anyone buy it with the mobile broadband? Also did anyone add mobile broadband afterwards and found it fine?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? - 01-31-2009, 06:42 PM

I bought my mini 9 on a two year Vodfone contract. Not sure that it is the best value for money deal as the broadband allowance is quite restrive (1GB for £25 per month or 3GB for £30) In two years time that's going to be a very poor deal.
However this was the only way to get the WWAN built in the UK and very few other netbooks come with this feature.

Yes I'd recommend it but I think it's a costly option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? - 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM

i get my 3g connection from my ATT 8525 as a wifi hotspot using wifirouter: http://www.wmwifirouter.com/

can be hooked to via bluetooth, usb or wifi and i can share it with anyone around me if i want to.

best part: no contract

-= Mini 9 | RunCore 64gb SSD w/win7 | STEC 8gb SSD w/windows 7 w/bitlocker enabled| 2GB Ram | Internal BT =-
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? - 02-02-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds394
However this was the only way to get the WWAN built in the UK and very few other netbooks come with this feature.
You can buy it with WWAN without contract at PCWorld.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? - 02-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooya
You can buy it with WWAN without contract at PCWorld.
I feel hard done by now :cry:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? - 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM

You can pick up an 8GB SSD, 1GB RAM mini for £190 from Tescos. A 3 mobile dongle is available for £5 a month for 1GB allowance if you get a decent deal. Much cheaper this way.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? - 02-03-2009, 04:39 PM

I agree that you can definitely get some good mobile broadband deals but it's nice not having the dongle. A definite attraction of the Mini 9. I wish more netbooks would have the WWAN built in.

(#8) Old

Default Re: Recommend buy with Mobile Broadband? - 02-06-2009, 06:53 AM

you can purchase one with it but you don't have to sign up for the 2yr at&t contract. i bought mine's with it. i will probably use it some times in the near future..

« runcore 64gig SSD question | While I wait for the outlet to replenish....have some Q's »