Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Do I need a mouse? - 01-31-2009, 06:00 PM

I ordered a Dell Outlet Mini 9, obsidian black, with XP, bluetooth, 16GB drive, 1GB ram on Jan 27th, and I am going nuts with anticipation. I bought it for travel when visiting relatives and friends, and as a journal/notebook at home.

I've never used a touchpad. Is it an acceptable substitute for a mouse or just a compromise to save space? Do people buy mice for their touchpad laptops because the touchpad is inferior or they aren't willing to spend time becoming proficient with it?

Thanks

Obsidian black Mini 9: 1GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, bluetooth, no cam, XP. Dell Outlet.
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Do I need a mouse? - 01-31-2009, 06:07 PM

I use both. If I'm going to use the Mini for a long period of time (hour or more), I get the mouse out.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Do I need a mouse? - 01-31-2009, 06:38 PM

I've not used a mouse with the mini yet though my work laptop is used with a mouse in the office and just the trackpad elsewhere.

If you're just browsing, need to pick things from menus, do the occasional drag and drop -- regular windowing work -- then the trackpad is all you'll ever need. They do take a little time getting used to if you haven't used one before, but once done you can adequately cover those things without feeling like you need a mouse. The scroll-sensitive edges are nice and useful substitutes for windows.

If you use other apps that benefit from finer precision actions/placements or sweeping movements (graphics, mapping, games, etc.) you'll then need a mouse.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Do I need a mouse? - 01-31-2009, 11:02 PM

I suggest getting used to using your Mini9 without a mouse. Otherwise, every time your caught without one (this is a mobile device?), everything will be SO much harder.
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Do I need a mouse? - 01-31-2009, 11:57 PM

I have a mouse for my Mini but I can use the trackpad too. I find trackpads too fussy for my purposes, but they'll do in a pinch. The mouse sits in my carry case so I usually have it available.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Do I need a mouse? - 02-01-2009, 04:41 PM

I never use a real mouse. I used to game using a trackpad and my i9300. Trackpads give a lot of people difficulties, I find them quite nice. The scrolling on the Mini 9 suck though.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Do I need a mouse? - 02-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabing
I suggest getting used to using your Mini9 without a mouse. Otherwise, every time your caught without one (this is a mobile device?), everything will be SO much harder.
Very good suggestion! My Mini 9 arrived yesterday and played with it all night. Setting up the Mini to my preferences was frustrating using the touchpad - it seemes tedious compared to a mouse. But today, after several hours practice under my belt, the touchpad is getting easier to use.

Obsidian black Mini 9: 1GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, bluetooth, no cam, XP. Dell Outlet.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Do I need a mouse? - 02-01-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog
The scroll-sensitive edges are nice and useful substitutes for windows.
Woah. I didn't know about this. Just tried it on my mini, and sure enough, it will scroll down using the edge of the pad as a drag bar. This IS nice.

Thank you for mentioning it, where did you learn about this? I'm wondering if there are other useful features I'm missing.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Do I need a mouse? - 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM

It's under Control Panel>Mouse Settings if you have the synaptics touchpad driver installed.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.

« Bought my first Dell Mini 9 | New Dell Mini 9 - Windows Network / Wireless / Bluetooth »