Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 new model..(Dell Vostro A90) - 01-30-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog
I don't see how flashing a system (motherboard) BIOS demonstrates that it must be supporting/using the same graphics card in both systems.

If the site is wrong that's fine, but this will be the 2nd time in 2 days I've seen Minis for sale on their site with different cards in them; and it's not unknown for Dell to switch parts in the lifecycle of a single MODEL of product, let alone across multiple models (they're notorious for example on switching the displays they use in their LCD monitors from one revision to the next, i.e. the A00 version of a 2407WFP may have entirely different manufacturer and specification screen than the A03 version of that same model).

I'd be cautious until it's proven either way - a call to Dell (in the region you're buying it from) may help satisfy any concerns.
http://www.slashgear.com/dell-vostro-a9 ... s-2420283/

Very old and stale news that the Vostro A90 is nothin' but a rebadged Mini but obviously you still choose to believe otherwise...sigh :?

(#12) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 new model..(Dell Vostro A90) - 01-31-2009, 12:00 AM

I'm happy to agree to disagree, I'm also happy to be proven to be wrong, I just haven't seen anything convincing. Yes it is a rebadged Mini, no the hardware doesn't have to be carbon-copy all the way to earn that title.

On the other hand, why copy/paste the spec of one machine and then intentionally change it and make it 'wrong'? Normally copy/paste errors are done when something should be changed but was overlooked or omitted.

We can leave it at that until something authoritative appears (and an independent reviewer is no more or less authoritative than the source, neither are infallible or immune to change) - no hard feelings either way, and I'm only advocating that buyers should check they're happy with what they're getting (or be certain of getting what they expect). Fair enough, isn't it?
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 new model..(Dell Vostro A90) - 01-31-2009, 12:05 AM

Yeah, im not making life difficult for myself. Its simply a question of being cautious. The PDF's both seem to match but I don't want to rush into it only to find that the web data is right and that the chipset etc aren't supported and end up with a pain in the ass near-hackintosh
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 new model..(Dell Vostro A90) - 01-31-2009, 12:35 AM

The information in http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/PRODBREF/320217.pdf seems sufficient to address the concern and show that the two terms, whilst not really interchangeable, can be used to describe the same thing.

That's authoritative enough for me and properly clears it up (yes, I'm ok with it having 'proved me wrong'). The only other thing to remember about these particular web pages of Dell's, is that the business division section (Vostro A90) shows prices excl. delivery and VAT (sales tax) whereas the consumer division section (Inspiron Mini 9) shows them inclusive. Once you get them to the final checkout baskets, the price gaps really start to disappear.
  (#15) Old

Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: Dell Mini 9 vs Dell Vostro A90 - 01-31-2009, 05:10 AM

Since the Vostro is quite dated news I have changed your subject title. Also, I have moved this topic because it did not belong in the "For Sale" forum.
  (#16) Old

Default 06-02-2009, 02:05 AM

« Mini on way, question about OSX. | updating dell mini 9 »