Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Lost battery monitor - 01-29-2009, 07:48 PM

I've been downloading drivers and updates from Dell for my mini 9 (Xp version) and I've downloaded the recommended power monitor file and installed it. I can access the battery information and power settings by clicking on the icon in the system tray, but I can no longer access it by pressing Fn + 3. I guess there must be a way of remapping the key to bring up the info?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM

It's incorrectly listed as an "older version" on Dell's website. The file you need is R192569.EXE.

See my thread on Drivers for Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (910).
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 01-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Thanks. I simply rolled it back using system restore for the time being.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 02-10-2009, 07:47 AM

i have had another go at installing the upgraded(?) battery monitor. I used the R192569.EXE, which seems to have been the file I tried before, as the unpacking reports the files are already there. The installation process clearly removes the old software - asking me for permission to remove it, and continues to install.

But once it has installed I can't find the new battery monitor, even after a reboot. Pressing Fn + 3 just gives me no response. I also looked in programs to make sure I didn't have to turn it on, but there was no entry for it I could see. I have already upgraded the BIOS to A04 BTW.

Again I have rolled back the system using system restore so I have the battery monitor as originally supplied. Am I doing something dumb here?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 02-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Do you have the R192570.EXE - Wireless Select Switch installed? I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if that one needs to be installed for the batty monitor to work.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 02-10-2009, 12:27 PM

Yes, I do.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 02-10-2009, 10:54 PM

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I'm kind of grasping at straws here, but perhaps R192569.EXE needs to be installed before R192570.EXE?? IIRC, when I installed my drivers, I did them in alphabetical order.

Does no one else have any ideas?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 02-10-2009, 11:52 PM

Didi you be chance install an on screen display program for your volume? I installed Microsoft's keyboard driver for its volume control on screen display. The osd worked great, but it messed up my Fn-3 battery meter. Even after I uninstalled the microsoft osd software, I had to reinstall the battery meter program, which is listed above.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 02-11-2009, 07:46 AM

The other straw I have been grasping at is that perhaps my mini came with the right software installed - and when I run the package the install/uninstall part of the routine decides that it should uninstall it? Wild guess on my part. The test would be to do the installation twice I guess.

I didn't install the MS keyboard driver.

Thanks for your interest and help though. As i said I do have the batery monitor as origninally supplied becuase I rolled back the system using system restore.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Lost battery monitor - 02-11-2009, 09:42 AM

I wonder if someone knows the files which are installed by the battery monitor, then you could see if you have the same files installed & if they're the same versions.

« Noob with HD questions | Can't connect to te internt, just got my dell mini9 Ubuntu »