Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Neebie questions on movies and music. - 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM

I am still debating on getting a Mini 9. The price is right but I have some questions. I'm not computer savy so please forgive me for my ignorance:

I would use the Mini for email, Facebook, surfing the net, basic letters, health shows and a cycling program. How easy could it be to play videos and how? How easy would it to connect a camera to it to play?

How many of you by an external drive for the Mini and travel with it?

I'm thinking to get the windows version. get away with the 8 or should I go 16?

Thanks for the feedback in advance...
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Neebie questions on movies and music. - 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM

First things first - if you can afford the 16 - get the 16. It's just handier. If you want to save some cash, get the 8 and an SD card to put in the SD reader. You can save stuff to it and it will be cheaper than buying a larger main drive.

Running Windows Media Player you should have no problem listening to music and videos. In fact you can get the IO Magic external DVD that Dell offers and go from there.

Otherwise, can't say I've tried to do much beyoind SD/USB storage and a external DVD - but you shouldn't have too much in the way of problems as long as there are XP drivers/software available for the drivers you are looking to use.

Black Mini 10v | Win 7 - Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Neebie questions on movies and music. - 01-26-2009, 08:08 PM

can i play movies at HD ?
can i play music and surf the web and download at the same time with a good speed?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Neebie questions on movies and music. - 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM

As far as playing HD movies, I'm not sure why you would want HD on such a small screen but it should be able to take it (I never experienced it, but I play regular movies on it and it never gives me trouble).

For the downloading and playing music and surfing the web simultaneously, it shouldn't be a problem if you are browsing text based sites. If there's lots of flashy stuff and interactive elements, then you may experience some slowdowns, especially if you are using windows. Consider getting the 2GB ram if you do multi-task a lot, it will help with the speed since there is no swap on the Ubuntu version at least.

As far as the original poster mentioning cameras, I wouldn't feel this is an adequate machine for video editing. If you really need to do photo editing on the road I guess it would suffice but I would tend to suggest waiting until you get home or getting a real notebook if that will be your main usage. It's plenty powerful to transfer images from the camera and post them online with a bit of editing (red eyes, contrast, etc) but I wouldn't consider full scale editing.

Good luck.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Neebie questions on movies and music. - 01-31-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minionthebus
As far as playing HD movies, I'm not sure why you would want HD on such a small screen but it should be able to take it (I never experienced it, but I play regular movies on it and it never gives me trouble).

For the downloading and playing music and surfing the web simultaneously, it shouldn't be a problem if you are browsing text based sites. If there's lots of flashy stuff and interactive elements, then you may experience some slowdowns, especially if you are using windows. Consider getting the 2GB ram if you do multi-task a lot, it will help with the speed since there is no swap on the Ubuntu version at least.

As far as the original poster mentioning cameras, I wouldn't feel this is an adequate machine for video editing. If you really need to do photo editing on the road I guess it would suffice but I would tend to suggest waiting until you get home or getting a real notebook if that will be your main usage. It's plenty powerful to transfer images from the camera and post them online with a bit of editing (red eyes, contrast, etc) but I wouldn't consider full scale editing.

Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback

« Standby or sleep | Just pulled trigger »