Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-26-2009, 04:13 PM

I'm new to the mini 9 community. I will be upgrading to the 32gb SSD from the original 8gb. Can you guys share your experience and the best method to backup/copy from the original to the new drive? And what software you recommend to accomplish this. (Preferably free). I do have an external USB hard drive. Thanks.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Trial version of Acronis True Image is what most people are using.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Trial version of Acronis True Image is what most people are using.
I used Acronis True Image with BartPE after someone here advised me to try it and it worked great.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Thanks. Can you guys outline the process for me, as I've never did this. Or is it self explainitory from the software?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakersteve
Thanks. Can you guys outline the process for me, as I've never did this. Or is it self explainitory from the software?
This is a good question for folks like us that have never done this. I did download the Acronis Manual but am still fuzzy with some of the options that one needs to select when cloning. I have watched Mat's video over and over but it is hard to see which ones he is selecting when he demonstrates this. Would appreciate any help we could get on this. The clone begins on page 104 of the Acronis Manual. Sorry, but us newbie folks need to learn to. ops:
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-26-2009, 09:51 PM

Posted this about my 64GB. Very, very easy to do.
runcore-64gb-ssd-installed-very-easy--t2334.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-26-2009, 10:00 PM

I've been investigating this question, as I am planning to create a "virgin" image of my Mini system disk before I try to reinstall WinXP with a slimmed down (via nlite) version. So far as using freeware applications, here's what I've worked out:

Since the Mini doesn't have a CD/DVD ROM (and I don't have an external USB drive to use), I want to do everything using USB Flash drives. So, I figured out this basic procedure:

1) Go to http://www.clonezilla.org and download the Clonezilla imaging software (open source freeware).
2) Make a bootable USB Flash drive that contains the Clonezilla software (the http://www.clonezilla.org site explains how to do this). I'm using an old 128 MB Flash USB drive as the boot/Clonezilla drive.
3) Format a second 8 GB Flash USB drive as FAT32 to clear it out. This is the drive that I will be storing the cloned image file of my Mini virgin system.
4) Boot up my Mini using the the boot/Clonezilla USB drive that I created in step 2.
5) Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the cloning parameters.
6) When asked for the location of the created image file, insert my 8 GB USB drive in a separate port and select it.
7) Continue to follow the on-screen instructions (primarily using the default options).
8) Let Clonezilla make an image file on the 8 GB Flash Drive.

It's a bit labor intensive, but it is free and should work (I've tried it using an old WinXP laptop). Note, I wasn't able to do this using a single Flash Drive, so that is why I'm using two of them.

To restore the clone image, follow the same process but select the "restore" option instead of "create".

I'm planning to write this up in more detail on my web blog: http://dellmini.wordpress.com

cohoman

Dell Mini 9 Web Blog: http://dellmini.wordpress.com
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM

You select the Clone Drive option in True Image and then follow the prompts. Most everything is obvious except one. If the destination drive is larger than the source (true in most cases), and you have more than one partition on the source drive (again true in most cases), its automatic mode will resize both partitions an equal amount. You don't want the diagnostic partition to be expanded, so select manual partition sizing and specify that the "EISA" partition is to be no more than 16MB, then expand the C partition to the rest.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM

Is there some kind of enclosure to plug the new SSD drive into to do the copy? Or do I have to do a copy to an external USB drive then swap in the new SSD and do a restore? Will the Acronis software boot from the External DVD drive?
Where is theis "Mat's Video" instructions located. Thanks
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Backup and restore to new SSD - 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM

If it's a Runcore drive, you should get a microUSB to USB cable with the drive. You would need to install the Acronis on your mini first, and then follow holmes4 instructions...then just attach the micro end of the cable to the new drive and to your mini, and Acronis will copy everything over. There is a video of that being done, but I can't remember where it was.

« Hello! Couple questions plz. | "unread mail messages" »