Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 01-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Do you like ubuntu on mini9?
i dont have a dell mini9 but on my pc i'm workin with ubuntu.
how does it feel on mini9?
  (#2) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 01-26-2009, 06:21 PM

If you keep to the metacity window manager (and don't worry about compiz and all the jiggly-windows), it's difficult to notice from program performance it's running on a netbook. (Now, all the compiz-lovers will show up and pitch me in the moat!)

The default Dell Mini's distribution lags on updates, but that doesn't keep any other version of Ubuntu from running fine on it. Down in the Linux / Unix parts of these forums, we have several threads discussing various Linux distributions and how to use them on the Mini. So, even if Ubuntu isn't your thing, there's a place to go to find resources.

Right now, I'm running Dell's ubuntu, Ubuntu's Netbook Remix 1.0.1, and Gentoo 2008.0.

All are handling my hardware just fine, and I'm enjoying them a lot.

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM

Having messed around with XP a bit (and not being able to get OSX to install on my Mini9 yet ) it works darn well.

The wireless seems more robust than on XP and with a standard install (as opposed to Dells lipa version) it flies. There is very little you shouldn't be able to do.

Enjoy.

Black Mini 10v | Win 7 - Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK
If you keep to the metacity window manager (and don't worry about compiz and all the jiggly-windows), it's difficult to notice from program performance it's running on a netbook. (Now, all the compiz-lovers will show up and pitch me in the moat!)

The default Dell Mini's distribution lags on updates
can you describe more?
what's compiz?
you mean that mini's destribution can't get updates?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 01-30-2009, 09:05 PM

Compiz is Ubuntu's default window manager. It's fancier than what is on the Dell but it may be slower. I haven't noticed a difference.

Dell does provide updates on their distribution but it is lagging behind the more mainstream Ubuntu distributions.

A lot of people have installed different versions of Ubuntu to take advantages of software updates that are not available from the Dell distribution. See the forums about linux distribution for more info or http://www.ubuntumini.com/ for a guide on how to configure Ubuntu for the mini. I use the UMPC version.

Hope that helps.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 01-31-2009, 05:37 AM

Compiz-fusion: A window manager with tons of eye candy, makes Vista Aero look lame.
[youtube:3vnimo1n]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ[/youtube:3vnimo1n]
Link for HQ since the forums no likey the HQ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ&fmt=18

Updates: The current kernel in the Dell repos is 2.6.24-19 IIRC and the current kernel for i386 8.04 Ubuntu is 2.6.24-23 (unless my uname -r is broken lol) So you're a little bit behind, maybe 30 days.

Also big thing: Dump flash 9 and go for flash 10. Life is much better that way.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM

I don't like Linux on any laptop. I can NEVER get the trackpad to move correctly. The Y axis is always screwy. I have tried it on at least 10 different models and half a dozen distros. Always seems to act kooky. Otherwise I enjoy Ubuntu. It runs smooth on the base Mini 9. Dell updates were easy to get and install. Speakers were louder than with WinXP.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 02-03-2009, 02:34 AM

For what it counts for with the oh dozen or so laptops I've played with in various linux distros I've never had any Y-axis wonkiness. Not trying to discredit you at all, just saying that no such thing has ever bothered me.

Actually now that I think of it the Mini 9 is probably the best one I've ever used, if only for the fact it is the only one that tap-to-click hasn't caused me to work myself into an enraged froth.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 02-06-2009, 03:01 AM

The Mini is the first time I've used Linux and I love it! I installed Ubuntu 8.10 and tweaked it with lots of help from folks on this forum. It does everything I want to do and does it very well. I rarely take my full size notebook out of the house anymore. I'll never go back to Windows!!!

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Do you like ubuntu on mini9? - 02-07-2009, 08:20 AM

No, I am strongly considering reverting to XP

Networking keeps breaking and I have had to reinstall the OS 4 times now in a week. I have never had to do that with Windows

« Manual Opening in Notepad | do all mini 9s have broadband modem »