Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default What a great little machine - 09-07-2014, 05:52 PM

Hi all, just joined up, was given a Dell Mini 9 with the original 8gb ssd in it by a family member, and even this many years on, instantly fell in love with it. Have upgraded the ssd to a kingspan 32gb, I suspect that this is a "reasonable" quality ssd given it's price point, be interesting to see a few comments on this from those in the know. So far, tried linux mint 17 and windows 7 on it, but settled back to xp using the original installation cd's in the end. Just seems to work best on xp to me. Anyhow, just thought i'd pop up and say Hi.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-07-2014, 07:47 PM

Welcome to the forum! The Kingspec SSD is not the best, but there's not much choice in that market nowadays, so it's good enough.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 09-28-2014, 05:51 PM

Hi Steve, cheers for the reply. Seems real quiet around here these days.

Well, I've been busy trying to find the best OS to run on this thing pretty much since the last post. It's been subjected to windows xp, 7, 8.1, ubuntu, lubuntu, linux mint, snow leopard 10.6. I've been trying to get chrome OS up on it, but not succeeded to create a bootable USB from the dell mini options yet, the May 13th release link is now dead, and no one is replying on here nowadays.

Have settled on Xubuntu now, seems to be the best compromise in terms of performance. The biggest problem being the R/W speeds of that crappy kingspec more than anything else.

I just really like the form factor and size of this thing, the keyboard is nice and the trackpad works nicely too, if there was a more modern version of the same thing, I'd get one.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 09-29-2014, 04:24 PM

Netbooks are pretty much gone from the market. But Chromebooks have filled the niche, even though they're more limited. I still have my Mini 9 and it still works, but I go months between booting it.

Steve
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 09-30-2014, 01:24 AM

Ah, I almost forgot about this. HP is introducing HP Stream laptops, starting at $199.

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default 11-05-2014, 04:52 PM

The Mini 9 is a nice little machine. I use mine primary when I travel my motorcycle. My wife used it (unfortunately) after she got stuck while in a cross walk by a school bus a year ago today. We have since purchased a Yoga 2 Pro that is really a nice machine... but I digress.

Welcome to the Mini world. It's a capable machine as long as you are aware of it's limitations.

Mini 9|2GB|16GB SSD| Intel 6235AN | WinXP Pro - eBay: 9/28/2012
Mini 10v|1GB|160GB HDD|WinXP Home - eBay: 11/4/2014
  (#7) Old

Default 01-11-2015, 07:59 PM

I have two mini 9's and three SSD: 16GB STEC (original hw), 16GB Super Talent FEM16GFDL, and recently I got 32 GB KingSpec. I don't see any difference between these (besides one is double size), and I've done multiple installations of Ubuntu, XUbuntu and OSX 10.6.8 on them.

The regular 14.10 Ubuntu with Unity is slow. XUbuntu 14.10 works fine. The OSX 10.6.8 takes some effort to set up, but works great.

The read speed of my three SSD's are somewhere between 50-100 MB per second. Good enough for quick boot of a simple OS.

The write speed is a "don't care" for me. In normal operations, the machine write little tidbits to disk occasionally. These go first into a cache in RAM. Few seconds later, a low priority task ( which user does not wait for) writes the tidbits from RAM to SSD.

« Clean Start | issue with mini 9 »