Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 01-05-2014, 02:07 AM

Okay, sounds good.
Hey Steve, thanks again man. Much appreciated!
Hopefully I'll be back to report that all went good.
  (#12) Old

Default 01-09-2014, 06:19 PM

Everything seems to have gone pretty well. I didn't need to do a system restore from the disc. There was a program in (I believe) the BIOS menu. It's actually reached by F11 when the blue bar appears up top, not the F8, so maybe it wasn't actually BIOS, but looked similar.
Anyways, I'm having trouble now acquiring an IP address on our wifi here at home. I am logging into our wifi, putting in the correct key#, but it just won't acquire the IP. It tries to acquire it for about 15 minutes or so. It shows the correct wifi, excellent strength at 54bps, but IP is 0.0.0.0 . I haven't sat in front at the end of it's search to see if there's an error message in 2 attempts, it just quit trying and shows I have no connection.
Any ideas? Thanks.
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 01-10-2014, 02:06 AM

I had a similar problem with my Mini 9's stock WiFi card and the router I had at the time. Ended up replacing the router (and then the card). Try rebooting your router, first.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#14) Old

Default 01-10-2014, 03:06 AM

Yeah, I tried that right away. No luck.
I've been reading a lot on why I may be having the issue, trying to resolve it.
I went into services and made sure nothing was disabled that may be needed and rebooted. I went into Run>cmd and did a ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew.
Here's the error message I'm getting.
"An error occurred while renewing interface wireless network connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has it's media disconnected."
I've looked at the driver for both the LAN and Wifi, both seem okay...they were the ones (I assume) from the factory after I did my reset. (I've never changed them in past)
When I do the cmd run, it does give me an IP for a short time. It starts w/ 169.254.xx.xx, which I read something about today. I guess the 169 beginning isn't quite legit? Not sure if I'm remembering that right. While that is there for about 10 mins, my icon says I have "limited or no connectivity." After that 10 mins, it goes back to 0.0.0.0 and begins to try to acquiring one again. BTW, we've never really had any issues w/ the router. It's from Verizon, and came with our internet/cable package. I don't think it's in that, but obv. has something to do w/ my reset.
Sorry to be such a pain. Thanks
  (#15) Old

Default 01-10-2014, 07:00 PM

Good news, all is working.
After looking through countless threads and trying their solutions, my mind started to fog up. So, I called Dell support. The agent there used GoAssist and took over my comp. He was quite helpful in not only fixing the issue, but giving me info on what happened, and how to fix it in the future.
What appears to be happening is that the router is blocking me. My guess is because it recognized the comp, but that it had changed from the reset.
Anyways, we did have to use a static IP, so it's not perfectly fixed. I'll be getting in touch with Verizon and asking them for assistance. I just don't want to have to input another static IP, should a conflict arise with the one I used. It should do this automatically, and not be something I should have to visit again in the future.
When I read about static IPs in solution threads, it just didn't seem to look like something I wanted to mess with.
Steve, thanks again. I have some other questions to ask in the forum, but I'll go into the 10v one, because they're generic...like battery replacements, etc.
Nice to know that everything went okay with the reset though. Not too many headaches.
Thanks once more!
Dan
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 01-15-2014, 10:55 AM

I disagree, I find static IP's to be very effective If you have a properly administered network, if you have kids or ever do you will understand, I decided to use static IP's for that very reason, I now have TOTAL control of my network, within my router I can set who/what has internet access and for how long, in my case for my kids laptops/phones etc. I have it set so that the internet access is turned off @ midnight and does not enable access until 9am, this way my kids cant stay on the internet all night long and this can only be done providing that they have the exact same IP address every time (Static IP's)..,the other equipment on my network such as my laptops, servers and iPad have total access all the time (no the kids cant access them because of password protection and power on password protection).. and my router is password protected also..with dynamic Ip's you get assigned the next available IP address and virtually have no control over it

PS I also have my printers protected so that they cant waste all my ink on stupid printouts...kids tend to want a printout of EVERYTHING

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 01-15-2014 at 10:58 AM.
  (#17) Old

Default 02-21-2014, 03:55 AM

Well, I've learned a lot. I've learned that I don't know a lot. I decided to do a total reinstall of Win.XP. Got an optical drive on Amazon, I think, and did the OS and the drivers.....still no wifi. Dell wouldn't help without a charge. Frustration starting to set in.
I took the mini to another hot-spot and it acquired the IP w/ no problem. So I figured it had to be something in the router. Called Verizon, my provider, and they said router was fine after they sent tests. I asked them if I could just exchange it and they said sure, no charge.
All good now! Whewww.
But, I am very curious to learn about setting up the network RRFran, if you don't mind. I did look at the router on the browser while setting up everything. I see where you are controlling everything. It is def. something I'm interested in learning about, since we have a 4 year old who already is pretty good at finding videos and such on the iPod while he's playing with it. I know I'll need to control his access.
If you don't mind, could we start a thread, or is there one already, on the subject? I think a lot of people could benefit from that knowledge, if and when you could find the time to share it. I don't want to take too much of your time, so a brief tutorial/instruction would be a good start. If I or anyone else has questions after that, you or others could help us through it, providing a secure confidence that we're doing what we want to in this area.
Thanks!

« Intel Solid-State Drive 310 Series | mini 10v battery not charging »