Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Duo Repair Man - 06-30-2013, 06:07 AM

Hello everyone. I started getting an orange light on my dell duo and found out I had a faulty battery. So I attempted to follow the guide to open my duo and broke the connection to the keyboard. Luckily I still have touch screen and can use onscreen keyboard but I would like to fix the keyboard and battery. Does anyone know any repairmen who fix these? Is it worth fixing the keyboard or from past experiences is the cost so high it would be better to just purchase a newer ultrabook? I really don't want to part ways because it still works but I would like to get the keyboard and battery fixed. As of right now I have to have the AC adapter plugged in at all times or it will shut off. Any information on repair shops that deal with the duo would be greatly appreciated. If location is a question I live in northern maryland USA.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 07-04-2013, 05:44 PM

What exactly did you break? I am not familiar with the Duo, but on some of the Dell Mini line the keyboard connects with a flat cable that slides into a connector on the mainboard and a clamping bar is moved into place to lock it in. Often people break this clamp. You can't "fix" it without replacing the mainboard but sometimes you can make it work by jamming a piece of cardboard or plastic into the connector to wedge the cable against the mainboard pins.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Sugru to the rescue? - 07-05-2013, 03:51 AM

Hmm so your saying that I will have to try to wedge the cardboard in that clamp? Ya I'm pretty sure that is what happened to me. I hope I can get it working because I would rather not have to get a clunker off ebay to replace the motherboard. Do you think sugru what work to keep the clampin place? If so I could probably buy that. That would be awesome to get this back working then all i would need to replace is the battery.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM

How successful you will be depends on what exactly you broke. If you can slide the ribbon end in but the problem is that it won't stay because you broke the clamp slide, then a piece of cardboard or plastic might help. The slide pushes the contacts of the cable against contacts in the connector. Sugru is interesting stuff but isn't what you want here, because you want to apply some modest amount of force against the backside of the ribbon end. Maybe a bit of sugru will hold the whole thing in place once you have the ribbon end wedged in.

Try it with the cardboard first. You want to slide it in between the backside of the ribbon (without the exposed contacts) and the shell of the connector.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Mini 12 and Ubuntu | Dell Duo Advice »