Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 12 and Ubuntu - 05-14-2013, 01:54 PM

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'll try to keep it brief.
I've had a mini 12 for a few years now, recently only using it as a second laptop. It came with Ubuntu, but I installed XP after a year or so and recently upgraded to Win 8. Tried to use it at a show last weekend for demo videos but could not get a display on my external monitor.
Have today downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 and installed smoothly: dual boot works fine and display is crisp, and the OS recognises external monitor and allows its use. However, Ubuntu runs incredibly slowly and video comes out extremely jumpily.
Any ideas what is the cause/suggested solution?

Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old

Default 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM

Windows won't see the external monitor unless you have it on & connected when you boot windows up.

Have you tried reducing the quality of the video on the external monitor in Ubuntu?

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 05-15-2013, 07:33 PM

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I tried booting into Win 8 with the external monitor connected and switched on, but no joy unfortunately. As far as the video on the external monitor is concerned, it is just as jerky on the laptop itself. Have even tried downgrading Ubuntu to 11.10 as I read somewhere that newer versions use a different process if they can't find graphics card drivers (or something: I'm far from expert on Linux speak). I suspect the problem lies with drivers, so I'm about to try regressing to the original 8.04 Hardy Heron to see what happens.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Just in case this post might help someone else in the future, I eventually installed Joli OS and got video to run smoothly both on the netbook and on an external monitor. The process of using the F keys to transfer the video to the external monitor is a bit lumpy, but it does work eventually.

Tags
mini 12 issue, ubuntu 13.04

« multitouch trackpad | Dell Duo Repair Man »