Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default I can't get my Inspiron Mini to turn on after restoring to factory settings - 03-08-2013, 05:57 PM

For quite awhile I had some major viruses and finally got to a point where I could use the computer, but would continuously get warnings and have to stop while the AVG cleaned or quarantined some of these, but there was at least one Trojan Horse virus that could not be removed from the windows starter, so I finally decided to just restore the computer to factory settings. I did not select the option to save any particular files but just start over and restore totally to the factory settings. After doing this restore and getting the message to restart the computer as instructed, it will not boot up and turn on. The black screen flashes some text and then you can see Microsoft writing across the bottom as if it is processing to boot up, and then a bright blue screen with white writing (that I can't read anything) flashes instantaneously and then it circles back around showing the same thing over and over, but never starts. Doesn't ever show a Dell screen or logo, like I remember seeing before. I actually let the battery run out while this was continuously flashing and let it sit overnight, then plugged in the cord and tried to start, and it still does the same thing. I am successfully able to "interrupt" by pressing F8 and getting to the screen that says "Repair Computer" etc. But otherwise if trying to power on, it just goes in circles flashing these various screens and never actually powers on. What can I do?

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

In case it helps, I got this in May of 2010. Started having the virus issues in the spring of 2012, and went through long periods where I couldn't use it at all because it would automatically shut down every few minutes. Finally loaded some virus protection programs successfully that dealt with enough that I could use for longer spurts of time before it shut down automatically, and then eventually could use in limited ways but the repair window would pop up repeatedly during this time. I kept the computer on mute, because some hidden program or something was running in the background constantly and random audio (like some celebrity interview or something) could be heard all the time. So, you can see why I wanted to just restore to the original factory settings.
  (#2) Old

Default 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Restore to factory settings will not fix the trojan issue, you need to do a clean install. Pick the OS of your choice & start with a new install wiping your HD completely. If you like Windows, Windows 7 seems to be a pretty good OS, just be a little more careful where you go on the Internet & what you download.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 03-08-2013, 08:58 PM

I have no idea how to do this and can it even be done if the computer won't even turn on? Does this mean buying the OS? The computer didn't cost that much to begin with. I'm not inclined to invest a bunch of money in it.
  (#4) Old

Default 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM

I don't know what computer you have but I do agree on $$. I won't be spending more on my Mini 9 even though I have it on all day every day.

You might consider Install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS | Ubuntu . This is a free OS & it has good installation instructions. I use a USB stick to install.

The instructions on a Mini 9 flash on the bottom of the screen really fast. It took me 3 times to read about both keys to press on boot;
2 gets you into BIOS
0 gets you to the boot order

I would use 0 & select the USB stick after you have one prepared according the above link.

Good luck, I think you will like the new OS, just takes a while to find everything & it comes with a lot.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#5) Old

Default 03-17-2013, 04:46 PM

I will see about trying this when I can find the time to address it. Thank you!

« osx on Mini 9 questions | Dell 1012 problems »