Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question Hi all and question - 09-17-2012, 06:10 PM

im re posting my intro and question from last week as its gone unanswered ,guess this is a mostly dead fourm now...

Quote:
Im new here as well as new to netbook's(as well as never owned any portable puter)
I have been gifted a mini 1012 w/ a broke lcd as well as no battery im running it on external lcd
I want to run it this way along w/ usb mouse/keyboard...
~What i was wondering is there a way to remove lcd/top and still run it from vga and usb keyboard/mouse.
OR can i strip it down and make a lil puter to mount on back of a lcd?
Ive built a couple full size pc's but this is my 1st ever lappy/portable and i feel the need to experiment a lil since it was free.
With alota banging on f12 i manged to get into bios after 3 hrs-lol-and now its running pinguy linux(i guess gettin into bios was so hard due to havin to use a external lcd)

(reasoning for the curious is ive been intrigued for a while about mini puting but have limited funds)
Thanx in advance all!
  (#2) Old

Default 09-17-2012, 10:59 PM

Hello, I too am new, I would guess you would be able to remove the screen connector ribbon and power it up to try? A new screen isn't a lot of money nor is a battery to get the netbook running as it should be. Connecting out it would be vastly underpowered I would imagine due to a limited graphics processor.

Mini 1012 - Intel Atom N450 - OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB SSD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 667 RAM - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
  (#3) Old

Default 09-17-2012, 11:41 PM

hi and welcome,,..tried the disconnect ribbon ..got lota beeps when i tried to boot..as to replacement battery/lcd id be looking at around $100 usd for both----and for a lil more i could buy a whole unit on eaby.And from guy who made a tablet outa his i saw and removed magnet behind bezel to prohibit sleep/hibernate when i close lid.i have it using vga to my 22 inch lcd and h264/mp4's vids in VLC look great
(may do lcd as x mass approaches as usually some family member usually gets me like a 50$$ amazon gift card)
  (#4) Old

Default 09-18-2012, 12:56 AM

Thats insane! I priced the parts up here and its about 50 all in and probably with change as well.

There must be some way to disable the "sensing" of the built in screen, maybe it's a case of attaching ribbon and working your way back with it?

Mini 1012 - Intel Atom N450 - OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB SSD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 667 RAM - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
  (#5) Old

Default 09-18-2012, 10:44 PM

i some how wana do it but at same time bezel has its cam in it so i got some lookin round on net to do see what other "mods"" peeps have done to netbooks.Its funny every google try on any thing net book this fourm still pops up---its stalking me i think.lol
There has to be a fourm solely for netbook modding out here .
Im a member over at hack a day im a see what they recommend too,This lil thing surprises me with its ability's im defenatly uping the ram to 2 gigs,thats cheep maybe 20-23 bucks (usd),but i was watching nettflix along w/ -dloadin some music and fb a lil didn't miss a beat
i cant understand how the "9" and 10v is more popular?
  (#6) Old

Default 10-27-2012, 08:22 PM

Hi I'm also new here, but I on win7 I know you can go into energy setting and change what the computer does when you close the lid. things like sleep, hibernate, shut down, and (prolly what you're looking for) have it do nothing. that way you could power it up close the lid and then just use your external monitor to got to start shut down when you're done. I'm not sure what OS your using, but it may have a similar option. Good luck.

Dell Mini 10v PURPLE| 2gb Ram | 150gb HD |

« how to tell which mini 10 I have | Bluetooth not working! »