Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question enable legacy usb - 07-14-2012, 03:04 AM

Hi, Im new here and hoping to resolve a problem I have encountered while trying to install anything on my mini 10 from an external drive.
I have read here that I need to go into bios and enable legacy usb.

Could someone tell me step by step how to do that as I dont see that option
anywhere after hitting F2.

I have installed a new blank HD in my mini and want to put windows xp home on it via the ext drive in the USB slot nearest the ac plug.

I get as far as F8 and the f8 key is non responsive. What am I missing ??

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 07-14-2012, 05:43 PM

Back at ya, Once in the bios settings (F2), you do this by restarting the mini and hitting F2 as the Dell logo first shows up. Then with the arrow keys, cycle over to the Advanced screen, where you'll see a list of options and one of them should be USB Bios Legacy. After you make your changes hit the F10 key yo save. HTH
  (#3) Old

Question 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM

Hi, thanks so much. I did just that, Legagy was already enabled. The Windows OS loaded but f8 is still non responsive so I have to quit at that point.
How do I get past this to program the new HD or re install XP on a mini ?
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 07-15-2012, 12:35 AM

If you can boot at all from a USB CD or thumb drive, Legacy USB is enabled. At what point are you asked to press F8? I don't recall that in a Windows install.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM

not sure why the F8 is not working, I know the point you mean, when you are installing XP it asks you to 'hit F8 to accept' the MS agreement in order to continue the install, the F8 key should work, possibly you have a defective keyboard, you might also check in the BIOS and see if there is an option for Function Keys, I seem to remember somewhere that there is an option that toggles between Function Keys and something else, I just dont remember what the something else is...Good Luck

PS. Welcome to the forum...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« Tray app and loss of old restore points XP | Skins for the mini 9? »