Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 1012 wireless card issues - 05-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Just got a little Dell mini off the outlet last week and already the HB95 802.11n wireless card is giving me fits. It connected great at first then has steadily gotten more tempermental . Today it will connect once in awhile but mostly not. I've tested it on the free wireless at the coffee shop where it also worked at first and the same thing happens so I know it has to be the card or some setting [though I have changed no settings]and not my wireless router. I will contact Dell but they would probably want me to send it back or send me the same card .I am thinking I might rather upgrade to a better card.I have read this card has connectivity issues. Can anyone make recommendations?
My 1012 is not equipped with Bluetooth. Got a great price and even got the ice blue so I do not want to send it back just fix it.

Also, how well does Firefox run as a browser on these with 1 gb memory [I plan to upgrade to 2 soon] and what about AVG free for antivirus?? That is what I use on my desktop and I like it. Do not like the McAfee that came on the Dell and it expires in two weeks so need to decide on a antivirus quickly.
I do already love this little thing!!

Thanks!!
  (#2) Old

Default 05-29-2012, 06:45 PM

You should use Linux instead of windows, then you can ditch the antivirus, Linux doesn't get viruses. The wireless works too, if you connect to an ethernet connection once, it will give you the option to enable the wireless. Go to www ubuntu com. The best part? It's free and open source!

« Dell Latitude E6510 neuer Akku lädt nicht auf im Netzbetrieb | Tray app and loss of old restore points XP »