Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default mini 10v / Win XPSP3 - HELP with audio, please!!?? - 05-12-2012, 06:59 PM

Hello: I registered for this forum in the hope that someone can help me to help my friend who has audio problems on her mini 10v. She says sound was OK a couple weeks ago. I have tried everything I can think of, with no results. I have spent about 5 hours so far, trying to correct this problem.
System: DELL mini 10v, running Win XP SP3
I can plug in a USB headset, and hear sound fine. When that headset is pulled out, the sound does not work (no laptop speaker output, in other words). I then go to Control Panel’s “Sounds and Audio Devices” and it is all greyed-out. If I then plug in the headset, all looks good, but it is the only device listed for Playback, Recording, etc.
I have updated the chipset, video, audio drivers from the DELL support site. I have un-installed devices from Device Manager and re-installed them.
There is one “Unknown Device” listed in Device Manager, under “Sound, Video and Game Controllers.”
I have looked around this forum and searched for “audio problems,” “sound problems,” etc. I read many posts, but nothing seems pertinent to our issue.
I also searched online and found articles about uninstalling “MS UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio” (supposedly some kind of conflict in SP3), which I did with no luck. Also a registry edit to change SP3 to SP2 before installing drivers – again, no luck.
And I tried MS’s “FixItForMe” (or something like that) service online – no go.
It is as if the onboard speakers are not recognized, connected or something. Should I open it up and check?
If anyone can/will offer a solution, I/she will be very grateful! Thank you in advance!!!
P.S. The laptop also randomly freezes/hangs. No mouse input. No way out. Ctrl>Alt>Del does not work. She held power button to turn it off. Probably not related, but I thought I’d mention it.

Last edited by QiMusic; 05-12-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Change title
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-13-2012, 02:11 AM

It isn't the speakers, it's the audio chip on the motherboard that is not getting a driver loaded. Your USB headset worked because it has its own audio processor.

I think I would try "deleting" or "removing" the device from the device manager, then doing a refresh. The Dell audio driver should take care of it.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 05-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
It isn't the speakers, it's the audio chip on the motherboard that is not getting a driver loaded. Your USB headset worked because it has its own audio processor.

I think I would try "deleting" or "removing" the device from the device manager, then doing a refresh. The Dell audio driver should take care of it.
Thanks, Steve! I will try that again. It seems like I don't have the correct driver(s) or something. I have downloaded them from "support.dell.com," and other Realtek drivers from elsewhere, but none of them seem to do the trick...Steve (also)
  (#4) Old

Default 05-14-2012, 02:50 AM

Still no audio on the mini. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears!! Steve
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Sorry, no more suggestions. It's been a long time since I had XP on my Mini 9, but I don't recall needing any special drivers for audio.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 05-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Thanks again, Steve. I think I will just wipe it all and start fresh - not worth too much more time. I appreciate your responses!! Steve

« Dell Splash Logo/Hibernate Image | Dell Latitude E6510 neuer Akku lädt nicht auf im Netzbetrieb »