Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Just upgraded my 10v, want to dual boot Windows 7 + Mac - 04-01-2012, 06:08 AM

I just upgraded my stock Dell Mini 10v. Before I had the default 160gb HDD and 1GB of RAM. Yesterday I put a 2GB stick in, and replaced the HDD with a 320GB 7200rpm Momentus.

So now I have a beefier Dell Mini 10v, and would like to install a new OS in it. Right now I only have Windows 8 Developer Preview installed because I couldn't find any other discs. My main laptop runs Windows 7. I'd really like to do a dual boot Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do this (free method is best).

Also what OS do you recommend?

Dell Inspirion Mini 10v | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | 2GB RAM |
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 04-02-2012, 12:36 AM

There is a "Dual boot" section of the forum with a variety of topics. I suggest you install OS X first, leaving unused space for Windows. Then install Windows into the unpartitioned space. Most people use Chameleon as the boot loader, when I was doing this I used EasyBCD.

You will need to buy a retail DVD of OS X 10.6 and look for topics in the Mac OS section on how to install your particular revision (10.6.3 and up need some effort.) Windows 7, of course, you also have to buy.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 04-02-2012, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the reply! I have a mac os x 10.6 disc ready to go but my external dvd drive won't ready dual layer discs apparently, so I will have to go the USB route. Now to install a bootloader, I would do that after I install both OS'? So install mac on a 160gb partition, then windows on the other partition, then install a bootloader?

Dell Inspirion Mini 10v | 320GB 7200rpm HDD | 2GB RAM |
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM

The bootloader is part of the OS X install when you use the tools.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« T-Mobile webConnect Manager | Messed up, need to start all over »