Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default no os - 02-26-2012, 01:03 AM

hello ..im pleased i found this forum ,im after a bit help my netbook 1011 started runing reall slow and has now blue screened ,i tried installing a copy of xp onto a stick for reebooting but somewere along the line it must of went wrong as now my dell has a black screen which says no operating system ,i have a hard drive from a advent laptop which fits into the dell with vista on it ive tried to use this to boot the netbook, it loads up the windows logo then bluescreens and switches off ,im abit lost as what to do now any sugestions please....
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 02-26-2012, 01:13 AM

Usually you can't take a disk from one Windows system and boot it in a system with different hardware. I suggest trying the reinstall of XP again - did the XP install start or were you unable to boot the USB stick?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM

it did seem to start but then froze up leaving me with the only option i knew which was to switch it off , ive tried again using the usb stick to reinstall but doesnt see it , i was wondering if on my other laptop which runs vista could i over write that that with a copy of dells xp from a disc even though it isnt a dell laptop then transfer that into the netbook
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 02-27-2012, 01:41 AM

No. You need to do an install on the machine you want to run.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM

right well after abit of reading on here i finally managed to get vista taken off and xp put on my hardrive, using a different laptop
ive installed it in the dell and everything bar the touchpad works great all updates have been done ,ive tried various driver downloads from dell but none seem to have any affect on the pad so for now im using a mouse untill i can figure this out ,just pleased to have it up and running again ....next step try reinstalling a os on the hard drive i took out the netbook

« battery problem | Where can I buy a Mini 9 drivers and restore disk? »