Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-22-2009, 05:14 AM

Hi there, I just got mini today and got to mess around with it for a few hours. My specs are 8gb drive, 1gb ram, web cam and xp home. Cosmetically it's perfect, but I was having powering on issues. I found that one of the usb slots had a bent pin; bent so much that my usb plug cant fit into it. I bent back the pin and that seemed to fix the power up problem. Unfortunately that usb slot isnt usable. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to send the unit back just for that reason.

Im also having trouble installing daemon tools, but I'll post that on another thread. Basically I keep getting the blue screen after installing it.

Other than that, I love it!

Mini-9 / 8gb SSD / 2gb Crucial RAM / 16gb aData SDHC / Win XP Home
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-22-2009, 05:39 AM

Welcome to the forum! Wow, that's a bummer that you only have two of the three USB slots that are useable. I would try to get Dell to fix that, but that's just me.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-22-2009, 07:13 AM

I would have to send it back for that problem.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM

you know, to be honest, i haven't tried all of the usb ports on mine. i'll have to remember to try them! :shock:
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-23-2009, 01:50 AM

Mine came with a usb port that was hard to plug in to. I suspect a bent pin or bent casing but I didnt see anything out of the ordinary. A few times plugging and unplugging a thumb drive loosened it up. I know these are refurbs but a little more QC needs to go into them.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-25-2009, 12:30 AM

I ended up sending the unit back to dell for a replacement. The customer service through email was surprisingly quick and I received a pre-paid fedex ship-back box the next day. I hope I understood it correctly, but Dell had me keep the ac adapter, battery and the ssd; then ship them the rest. Can't wait to get it back so I can install some upgrades. Just bought a 16gb sdhc and will be ordering a 2gb ram stick soon.

Mini-9 / 8gb SSD / 2gb Crucial RAM / 16gb aData SDHC / Win XP Home
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM

I'm glad to hear Customer Service is quick to react. I was thinking of getting a refurb but was worried about going that route...
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trlbnd1
I'm glad to hear Customer Service is quick to react. I was thinking of getting a refurb but was worried about going that route...
Quote:
Why Buy Refurbished? Not only do you get great prices on refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and printers, but all Dell Outlet PCs come with a 1-3 year limited hardware warranty1 and the same great service you would get with a new Dell computer. Dell Outlet's refurbished computers are cheap in price but not cheap in quality.
Really you dont have much to worriy about. sure they might have a problem here and there (just like a new system) , but they should and will support you. And if you just dont like it, return it.

Zardoz
Dell mini 9 (black) | 8GB PCIe-SSD | Corsair 2GB 667MHz | Patriot 16GB SDHC class 6 | Microsoft 7 beta 7000 | Dell BT BH-200 | Microsoft notebook optical mouse (silver) | Dell WEB Cam Software | Dell Inspiron 910 System BIOS (A04)
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-26-2009, 09:39 PM

I wonder if they will send you a new one if they deem the part not an easy fix, or if they will just swap out the mobo. Also, I haven't gotten my mini yet, but the fact that it has 3 USB ports is just crazy! On my desktop, sure, I use like 8 or 9 ports with all the peripherals I have (printer, wacom, keyboard, extra mouse, other wacom, logitech NuLooq, 2 external hard drives, various USB keys, scanner, and the list goes on). But on my full size laptop, I only have 2 ports (damn you apple!) and it hasn't really been much of a nuisance yet, except when I attach an external hard drive that needs a Y connector, that is truly a pain!

Good luck with your replacement though!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Got my refurbished mini 9 today - 01-28-2009, 06:21 AM

I ought to check mine...

« HELP with the screws | Upgrading RAM - is it really worth it? »