Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old
Administrator

Default 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM

I doubt removing the programs is going to help. Adding memory won't make a big difference.

You can remove the star dock, "mighty magoo" and guffins; Leave the rest. One thing you can experiment with is running msconfig from a command prompt, disabling all the startup programs, rebooting and then seeing how it performs. You may not see much difference once it boots. The processor in the 1011 isn't very speedy, but it should be adequate for normal use.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#12) Old

Default 01-30-2012, 01:16 AM

What are some of these programs, like mighty magoo,guffins. How do you run this procedure you say " from command prompt", and disable programs. I'm new at all this, so need some step by step instructions if you can,, please. Where is the processor and which one would work for me. What does a processor go for in price?. Thanks for the advise and pardon my dump questions.
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM

You cannot change the processor.

I have no idea what those programs are. The names suggest games of some sort.

Click on the Start button, select Run... Type in "msconfig" without the quotes and click Open or OK or whatever it has there.

The System Configuration utility will open. Click on the Startup tab, then click Disable all and click OK. Reboot. On reboot, Windows will ask you if you want to keep the list of disabled programs permanently or temporarily (I think). If it does, select the temporary option.

See how performance feels to you. Some features may not be available (in particular, antivirus, etc., so be careful.) If you find performance is much better, then it may be that one or more of the startup programs is slowing you down. You'll then need to try selectively reenabling startup programs (same way as above, except click the checkboxes by each program to re-enable) to see which one makes the difference.

If you don't understand what this is doing or don't feel comfortable with it, then don't make these changes.

Steve
  (#14) Old

Default 01-30-2012, 09:52 PM

I completed the proceedure but no difference, still takes long starting up loading personal settings. I guess this is just the way it is. I thought the memory would help, but no difference . Maybe expecting to much from it, and this is normal way it runs. My main use is for Internet and thought i could get it to run faster, by removing programs and upgrade with 2Gb memory.
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 01-31-2012, 01:54 AM

As you found, for your type of usage such changes make no difference. Adding RAM can help if you run many programs that use lots of memory. Removing programs rarely has an effect on performance.

What I find, though, is that if you wait about 10 minutes after first boot, it feels a lot faster as various Windows background tasks have finished.

Steve
  (#16) Old

Default 01-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Yea as far as waiting for it to boot, your right holmes4 . After all loaded it does run a little faster.. Well thank you all for the valuable advise and guidance given.. With your help, I was able to replaced the memory and deleted some programs to help my minis performance. I think this it for now, until I find a good deal on a bigger hard drive, and see how that improves the mini speed. Again thanks all.. Great site with very knowledgeable members.

Last edited by Car121; 01-31-2012 at 02:44 PM.
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default 01-31-2012, 03:27 PM

An SSD will make a definite improvement. Just a larger spinning hard drive won't.

Steve
  (#18) Old

Default 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM

So which SSD , would you recommend?
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default 01-31-2012, 09:56 PM

I recommend the Intel 320 series.

Steve

« Install XP on Dell Mini 1012 | Must Have Software for Mini 9 »