Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Trying to decide... - 01-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Hi guys,
First of all, I would like to say that I am very impressed about all the tutorials, mods and hacks and all the useful stuff that you post here. Keep up the good work! I've been following this forum for quite a while since I am interested in buying a mini 9. However...lately I became interested in the hp mini 2140, so...now I need to decide. :?
What is the most important thing to me is...the build quality and of course...the price. Because of the latter I am biased towards the dell mini 9. I would like to ask you guys how is the REAL built quality of the mini 9? Does it feel solid? How is the keyboard quality? Is there any flex in the keyboard?
From all the reviews that I read, it seems to be pretty well built, however I got to play with other netbooks that were also described as well built...but...I wasn't satisfied.
Your help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

D.

P.S. Where do you guys get the 20% off coupons for the dell outlet from? ops:
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Trying to decide... - 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM

No keyboard flex.. it's a little too small and too packed to suffer from that. The only two things I would have quarrel with that could be considered build related are:

1. Biggest fingerprint magnet ever.

2. I tend to thump my right thumb on the space bar when I want to use it, and the area I most often do that is the bottom-right corner of the bar. It quite often (~20%) doesn't register even though the key is fully depressed in that area, so as long as I make sure I hit the space bar about a centimeter in from the corner it's all good and I get 0% missed key presses from it.

Those are about the only faults I can come up with, so other than there being another Mini 9 model that doesn't have those, I don't think I'd be interested in taking a gamble on another model/system.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Trying to decide... - 01-21-2009, 07:24 PM

I think the build quality is pretty good. My keyboard does not flex at all. The only issues I have is the plastic part of the palm rest next to the track pad buttons is very flimsy and the battery did not fit as snug as I thought it should. The battery was fixed with a post-it note stuck to the battery and trimmed to not show.

Dell Mini 9, Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OSX 10.5.6
Old Config: Dell Mini 9, Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, Dual Boot Windows XP Pro SP3/ 7 Beta.
Older Config: Dell Mini 9, Black, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Trying to decide... - 01-21-2009, 08:49 PM

I was originally considering the 2140 as well, but I tried an Acer in Best Buy, and the touch pad buttons on the sides (which the HPs also have) drove me nuts.

« Flashing on/off LED while plugged in, unable to turn on Mini | Using 4600 to Install Software on Mini »