Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Booting with a Flashdrive Problem on Mini 10v? - 11-14-2011, 02:24 AM

Hi, I have a problem with booting with/from a usb flash drive. I have a picture, but can't post it yet because I don't have 3 posts yet.
If you could see it, it totally freezes(it being the first boot up screen with the dell logo). The bar goes fine until it gets to two thirds way, and then my flash drive lights up like it's loading, and the screen freezes. It doesn't even matter if I set my computer to boot from the flash drive. If it has any kind of program on it, (i.e. flightgear, linux pendrive) it will freeze on the first screen. By the way, in the picture is where I'm trying to boot from a ubuntu 10.10 pendrive. I even checked on my brother's mini 10v, and the same thing happened. So either there's a problem with the whole line, or I'm not doing something right. My BIOS were set to stock, with A06, but I did change the "boot from USB" option.
Thank you for any help you can offer.
  (#2) Old

Default 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Try making a new bootable Flash drive of 10.10. If it is failing on 2 computers it probably failed while downloading.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 11-17-2011, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. I made another pendrive with ubuntu netbook remix 10.10. I had the same result, the first loading bar on the screen with the dell logo got to two thirds, the flashdrive blinked twice, and then the screen froze. I think it has something to do with booting with a flashdrive with some kind of program on it. Regardless of whether or not you're booting from it or not. Any advice?
  (#4) Old

Default 11-17-2011, 02:41 AM

not sure about this but;
make sure your advanced bios settings are properly configured..
specifically, make sure USB legacy support is enabled, and USB wake support is disabled.

cheers

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#5) Old

Default 11-17-2011, 08:55 PM

I've tried that in the past, and even checked again after I saw your post, but it had the advanced settings you mentioned. Could have anything to do with my RAM, BIOS settings, or OS? I have 1 gb of RAM, windows xp home edition, and my BIOS is A06 (woops, i think i mentioned that already, oh well.) Or maybe the flashdrive I'm using. It's a 2gb PNY flashdrive.?
  (#6) Old

Default 11-18-2011, 01:19 AM

PNY should be OK. Did you use the steps given by Ubuntu for creating a bootable USB stick in Windows? Download | Ubuntu

You have to get a program from here Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux & then go back to the 1st link & follow their steps.

(#7) Old

Default 11-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Yes, I created it correctly with the pendrive 123 installer. Now that I have 3 posts, i can post that picture

See.... It just freezes two thirds of the way through. This is when I have the 2gb flash drive with any kind of program on it. Like I've said, it doesn't even matter if I'm
booting from it or not.
  (#8) Old

Default 11-18-2011, 10:47 PM

Looks to me like it is failing in BIOS & that you can't boot at all vs. not getting it to boot from the flash drive. Are you able to get it to boot into the OS on the hard drive without the flash drive & is the OS Windows? I just want to be sure of this as you indicated it in your picture post & I don't see it mentioned before. Can you get to the BIOS to make any changes? If it is not booting at all, then it is failing during BIOS. It could be the settings in BIOS.

I'll be gone tomorrow but will check back a couple of hours later tomorrow night.

(#9) Old
Administrator

Default 11-19-2011, 01:18 AM

I have seen that with a USB DVD drive connected that did not have enough power.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old

Default 11-19-2011, 05:43 PM

It boots perfectly into the os on my hardrive... just like from day one. Yes I'm using windows xp. Without the flasdrive in(because it freezes the screen like that after it loads two-thirds of the way) i can get into my BIOS no problem. Actually, if you look a little closer, i had pressed F2 and highlighted it, but then it froze, so it didn't matter.

Tags
boot problem flash drive

« Hi all | General Help »