Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hello All & Quick question (mini 10v) - 10-31-2011, 09:19 AM

Hi mydellmini,

Been looking through all of the posts on here about taking your mini 10v and getting SL on it and I must say it has been really helpful so far. I got given a mini 10v a while ago so I figured hey what's the harm in trying right?

Just a quick question: As I only have rudimentary knowledge of PCs and MACs please bear with me.
I am trying to access the 10v's BIOS menu (or boot menu) ? and all the guides on here are saying that you need to push F2 at the Dell logo on startup and that will take you there. My issue is that a) I dont get a Dell logo on startup, and b) pushing F2 takes me to "boot manager", where there are limited options and nothing like the BIOS menu's described in the walkthroughs.
also c) F12 appears to do nothing..
I am looking to downgrade to A04 before attempting to install SL so I'm just looking to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before taking the plunge.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help appreciated.
Thanks,
AJ
  (#2) Old

Default 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothis View Post
Hi mydellmini,

Been looking through all of the posts on here about taking your mini 10v and getting SL on it and I must say it has been really helpful so far. I got given a mini 10v a while ago so I figured hey what's the harm in trying right?

Just a quick question: As I only have rudimentary knowledge of PCs and MACs please bear with me.
I am trying to access the 10v's BIOS menu (or boot menu) ? and all the guides on here are saying that you need to push F2 at the Dell logo on startup and that will take you there. My issue is that a) I dont get a Dell logo on startup, and b) pushing F2 takes me to "boot manager", where there are limited options and nothing like the BIOS menu's described in the walkthroughs.
also c) F12 appears to do nothing..
I am looking to downgrade to A04 before attempting to install SL so I'm just looking to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before taking the plunge.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help appreciated.
Thanks,
AJ
downgrading is not necessary on the 10v.

however, my first suggestion is that you make sure you actually have a 10v, and not a variant like the 1010, 1012, or 1018.

reason for that is that those machines may have different function keys to bring up the bios menu, and that might actually be the root of your difficulties.

on the 10v, it is F12 that will take you into the boot options you're describing. not F2.

cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#3) Old

Default 10-31-2011, 11:45 AM

thanks for the advice.
I checked the Dell service code on the website and I do definitely have the 10v.

Still stumped as to why I don't have the Dell logo pop up or why F12 doesnt seem to do anything, but maybe I'm just not pressing it at the right time.

I'll try this later on, thank you.
AJ

EDIT: in order to install SL while im on A06 would i need to down the route of taking out the HDD and installing SL on it from a Mac or is there some other mystical easier way of doing it?

Last edited by Newtothis; 10-31-2011 at 02:55 PM.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-31-2011, 08:20 PM

On a Mini 10v F2 takes you to BIOS & F12 to the boot menu on my son's Mini 10 BIOS A00. Don't push the Fn key, just the F2 key at the top of your keyboard.

If all else fails, start pushing it about 20 times right after you push the power button.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#5) Old

Default 10-31-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothis View Post
thanks for the advice.
I checked the Dell service code on the website and I do definitely have the 10v.

Still stumped as to why I don't have the Dell logo pop up or why F12 doesnt seem to do anything, but maybe I'm just not pressing it at the right time.

I'll try this later on, thank you.
AJ

EDIT: in order to install SL while im on A06 would i need to down the route of taking out the HDD and installing SL on it from a Mac or is there some other mystical easier way of doing it?
GUIDE: Installing OS X on your MINI with a mac (revisited)

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#6) Old

Default 11-01-2011, 01:04 AM

Thanks guys, real help
AJ

« Mini 9 is full! | Dell 910 mini.Beeping »