Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 9 is full! - 09-26-2011, 02:02 AM

I have been away from this forum for over 2 years. I became ill with an auto-immune illness called Guillian Barre Syndrome that hospitalized me for nearly 10 months. Most of the time since then has been spent recuperating. During the hospital stay my wife carried the mini 9 to do research on my illness along with using email to stay in touch with work and friends.
I now find the 8 gig memory is very nearly full I suppose with Windows updates and so on. There are absolutely no other installed programs. I have plenty of other computers to use for every day stuff and thought I would look into using the mini for learning about Ubuntu.
I'm not as sharp mentally as I was prior to my illness (unconscious for 2 months and so on) so I need to be pointed toward some step by step instructions on saving my existing operating system and then how to install Ubuntu or what ever you folks recommend.

I just finished replacing a hard drive on my grand-children's computer, re-installing the OS and so on. So I'm not totally helpless but probably not far from it. And I'm a quick learner--as long as I can stay awake!

Thank you in advance,

Wayne

btw--before my illness I climbed and worked on cell towers, and rode my BMW motorcycle on days off---sitting on my arse these days is not my idea of fun.
  (#2) Old

Default 09-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Blast! That stinks. You are on the right side of the ground though. I hope you continue to improve.

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

This site provides very good instructions & you can try Ubuntu to see if you like it. It does take a while to sort it out. Feel free to ask anything.

If you decide to stay with windows, maybe one of the Windows guys here can give some advice to trim it down a bit. You could just add a 4-16 GB SDHC for your downloads & any extra files. I use a 4 GB one & haven't had a space issue so far.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |

« Dell Mini 9 Ubuntu 10.04 Wireless problem | Hello All & Quick question (mini 10v) »