Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Outlet - 01-19-2009, 11:46 PM

Why do they have so many referbs? Do they make that many bricks or just a get lot of returns due to user error? I figure there are always going to be people that are not happy with their unit, or have buyers remorse, but every time I look there are tons of Mini 9's up for sale. Some are previously ordered, but many are refurbished and a few scratch and dents. I wonder why they have so many refurbished units all the time. I could see 6 or 7 at any given time, but its more like a couple of hundred at a time.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
Dell Mini 9 16gb SSD 1GB memory 1.3mp Web Cam
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-20-2009, 12:06 AM

you say a ton, but you are missing the big picture. lets say dell sell 500 units a week of the mini 9 and only 5% of them are returned thats only 25 units a week.

however it's more like they sell 1000s of units a week and only have about 2% or less returned. so lets say 2000 a week at a 2% return rate. is 40 units.

1 or 2% return is really not to bad but when you sell 1000s of units a week the numbers do add up.

the funny thing is that the DFO sells them quick.

Zardoz
Dell mini 9 (black) | 8GB PCIe-SSD | Corsair 2GB 667MHz | Patriot 16GB SDHC class 6 | Microsoft 7 beta 7000 | Dell BT BH-200 | Microsoft notebook optical mouse (silver) | Dell WEB Cam Software | Dell Inspiron 910 System BIOS (A04)
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Not so sure about the "why", but as for the "what" - I just bought two Mini 9's from the Outlet Store and they are both indistinguishable from new except for the green "Refurbished" sticker on the bottom of the case. Both look and perform excellently, at about $100 off the price of a new one. Highly recommended.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-20-2009, 12:40 AM

Right now there are 82 refurbished units setting on the outlet page. And the way they are priced, and the occasional 20% coupons popping up, they probably sell pretty fast. Even with the lower priced high turn over rate, it just seems like there are still a lot of units on the Outlet page. I just looked at setting up a new mini 9 and it was 439 new, and on the outlet page, with coupon, I picked one up for 263, thats about 60% off of a new one. At these prices, thats a smoking hot deal. Even without an extra 20% coupon, it is still very good. I figure they have a huge turnover rate at those prices.

So if there are 82 units, and with the number of units you have listed as being sold and returned, that is close to 4%. I know its not an Xbox 360, but thats getting to be a sizable return rate but still acceptable.

Its just odd they update the page so fast. In the time I typed this post, they sold 6 units, or at least removed them from the for sale page. Do you think they sell new units this fast, since they have been released for a while now?

Oh, I not complaining, I love being able to get this kind of deal. I hope I can find another coupon next month when I order another one. It just seems odd they keep a lot of units on the outlet page. I wish you could get stuff like this from other manufacturers.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-21-2009, 04:38 PM

No text.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-22-2009, 12:34 AM

I was also wary of the refurbs. I guess I lucked out: the first time I visited the outlet site there was a single previously ordered/new Mini 9 and it was in the configuration I wanted. I'm sure most of the previously owned refurbs are just fine, but they don't give me a warm-fuzzy quite the same way that a new unit does.

I ordered mine Monday and it'll be here in another 2 days or so. Sadly, I missed the 20% off coupon by just 3 days. However, I had a $70 promotional gift card from a previous purchase, so it all evened out in the end. It woulda been only $193 if I could have used that coupon though! MSRP in the $470 range including the current $25 off promotion, and I paid about half that. So not a bad deal over all.

I'll let you all know if there's anything amiss (read: not new) looking about it when it arrives.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-22-2009, 02:37 AM

Like many people have stated, when mine arrived, if it were not for the sticker on the bottom, you would never know it was a referb. It had an older bios, must have been re imaged, because, it acted like it had never been turned on before when I booted it up the first time. So far, I am very happy with it.

What I am not happy about is the "free wireless" Internet at work. They have it so filtered, I can hardly access anything. It will not let me watch any videos, Hulu, Myspace, Youtube. I can not even connect to check my email from a pop3 server. It really bites the big one.

MSI P45 Platinum
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz
Thermalright 120 Extreme
BFG 8800GT OC
Accelero S1V2
4GB Crucial DDR2 800
Antec Nine Hundred
Vista 64 Ultimate
LG Flatron W2452T
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-22-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach
What I am not happy about is the "free wireless" Internet at work. They have it so filtered, I can hardly access anything. It will not let me watch any videos, Hulu, Myspace, Youtube. I can not even connect to check my email from a pop3 server. It really bites the big one.
This is why I always use OpenVPN to bypass firewalls/proxy servers.
Well, that along with added encryption security.

(#9) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Mine was just the way you described it. Can't tell the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor John
Not so sure about the "why", but as for the "what" - I just bought two Mini 9's from the Outlet Store and they are both indistinguishable from new except for the green "Refurbished" sticker on the bottom of the case. Both look and perform excellently, at about $100 off the price of a new one. Highly recommended.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-29-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Right now there are 82 refurbished units setting on the outlet page.
I've seen >400, & the next day there's <50.
Quote:
Its just odd they update the page so fast. In the time I typed this post, they sold 6 units, or at least removed them from the for sale page.
When I was shopping for mine, I had the page set to reload/refresh every 15 seconds, because the inventory changed so quickly. I would see a cheaper one show up (that wasn't there 15 seconds ago), click "add to cart," and it would give me an error... because someone else snagged it! It took me many hours over several days to finally get the one I'm typing on now.

I actually didn't realize that Dell had an outlet store. I was this close to buying an Eee 1000H for >$400. I ended up getting the Mini for <$260 shipped.

« Hello Folks | Should I wait to install new parts? »