Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 03:37 PM

I had read a while back that Linux netbooks had a very high return rate because the average computer user is used to windows, these are the people who flounder on Macs, they just can't get used to a different operating system, and tweaking it is just too hard for them. There was even an article a week ago, I forget where, but it was about a girl who ordered a laptop with Linux for online classes to go back to school, and ended up having to drop the term because she couldn't figure it out, even called the local news to check it out, too bad she didn't have one of the members of this forum as a friend, would have sent her strait.

Anyway, because of all these technically impaired people buying cheap netbooks and not being able to adapt and returning them that could account for a large part of it. I do know that they have a very high return rate, also they are more scarce in retail stores and in friends and neighbors hands for people to try out before they buy. I will try to find the link to the story later.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM

just got my 2 orders

8gb xp webcam black looked in great condition...refurb green sticker on bottom...90% battery when turned on

my 4gb white, bluetooth ubuntu previously ordered new...they sent me a black ubuntu...no refurb sticker on bottom, just a black sticker with nothing on it...battery is drained, no power, now recharging. if i return it and complain about the wrong color will they charge a restock fee?

my "previously ordered new" was used by some guy named scott...just to change the date/time setting it needs a password to authenticate for the server. i did a clean reinstall from ubuntu and the password protection went away

on the 8gb xp i couldnt connect wirelessly so tried to reinstall xp sp 3 using my hd dvd add on drive

on the setup page it says

the file asms is needed

type where it is located

copy filesd from CdRom0\l386..i press ok but it wont go pass that

i just gave up and put ubuntu on it...now i have 2 mini's w/ ubuntu...i'm tempted to return these and complain to dell
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 05:34 PM

I bought a minimal refurb mini that I upgraded to 2GB RAM and 32GB RunCore.
Like many others said, if it didn't have the green sticker on the bottom saying it was a refurb, I wouldn't know that it was. Immaculate condition and it performs great.

Am so happy with it that I ordered another

Dell Mini 9 | Black | 2GB RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3Mp Webcam
Asus Eee 1000HA | Black | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | Dell 360 BT | dual boot: XP SP3; Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1
Dell Mini 9 | White | 2GB RAM | 4GB SSD
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayver0723
copy filesd from CdRom0\l386..i press ok but it wont go pass that
I've never had this problem, but I read somewhere that if you change it to a drive letter instead of "CdRom0" it'll work.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
my "previously ordered new" was used by some guy named scott...just to change the date/time setting it needs a password to authenticate for the server. i did a clean reinstall from ubuntu and the password protection went away
So Dell has sent another "previously ordered new" with someone else's login info on it. Could be that these just slip through the cracks sometimes, but it certainly is annoying. I can't think of any way for someone else's login info to be on the computer if it was "never fully booted" by a customer, which is what Dell claims for the previously ordered new. :evil:
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 06:19 PM

Yeah, and they all seem to have a password of some kind.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Marmot
Quote:
So Dell has sent another "previously ordered new" with someone else's login info on it. Could be that these just slip through the cracks sometimes, but it certainly is annoying. I can't think of any way for someone else's login info to be on the computer if it was "never fully booted" by a customer, which is what Dell claims for the previously ordered new. :evil:

plus there was no refurb sticker on it either and it was black instead of white i ordered. there were even bookmarked sites on the firefox history. so it probably wasnt "previously ordered new" more like bought new, used, then returned. it was in good shape, no scratches/markings just annoyed at their false information

i would complain and return but if they wont budge on restock fee ($35) i wont save any money if i redordered a basic ubuntu system w/ no bluetooth/cam that would be the same price
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Marmot
Quote:

plus there was no refurb sticker on it either and it was black instead of white i ordered. there were even bookmarked sites on the firefox history. so it probably wasnt "previously ordered new" more like bought new, used, then returned. it was in good shape, no scratches/markings just annoyed at their false information

i would complain and return but if they wont budge on restock fee ($35) i wont save any money if i redordered a basic ubuntu system w/ no bluetooth/cam that would be the same price
They should not charge you a restocking fee. Afterall it was not what you ordered and paid for. It was their mistake. If I was you I would call them and send it back for the change to what you ordered.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 11:18 PM

can anyone clarify what previously order new means? was it a new mini 9 that was ordered, but never used by someone? a returned laptop? because mine was obviously used by someone else and dell might dispute their definition of a refurb and previously new ordered. the wrong color isnt a big deal, but they did get the order wrong and it was definitely not what i thought it would be
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Dell Outlet - 01-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
can anyone clarify what previously order new means? was it a new mini 9 that was ordered, but never used by someone? a returned laptop? because mine was obviously used by someone else and dell might dispute their definition of a refurb and previously new ordered. the wrong color isnt a big deal, but they did get the order wrong and it was definitely not what i thought it would be
According to Dell's web site (see here):

1) "Never turned on, or never fully booted by another customer"
2) "May have been powered on by a customer before"
3) "Systems are tested to meet factory specifications including system condition and power-up test."
4) "May have been shipped out to another customer before."

I only included the relevant parts. I think it's all fine except 1). Clearly some of these items being sold as "previously ordered/new" have been fully booted by another customer.

« Hello Folks | Should I wait to install new parts? »