Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell mini 9 windows not found ? - 07-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Ive been having a problem on my Dell mini 9 recently to where when computer is booting up a error message pops up and sais something like PXE error-check cable, then it will say windows not found.Now this happened before and i changed out the SSD and it fixed the problem.When it occurred this time I went into my BIOS menu and noticed it said 0 GB for the storage(something to that effect).So i changed SDD card and now it does read like 7.950 GB.Heres where my problem lies it still doesn't find windows after the new SDD install.I did install the recovery CD and loaded windows and nothing, still windows not found.i know the windows installed because i tried the recovery CD 1 more time and it flagged me saying that windows was already installed.Any ideas? Any info would be greatly appreciated as im sort of computer illiterate and out of ideas.Thanks again.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 07-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Does it actually say "Windows not found"? If you see the PXE error that means that the Mini has not found a bootable disk and that it is trying the Ethernet adapter.

Power on the Mini and press 0 at the Dell logo screen. It should display a list of devices you can boot from. Is the SSD one of them? (It may show as a hard drive - I don't recall.) It could be that the Windows files are there but the Master Boot Record is not set up properly or is corrupted.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« does side matter with usb drive? | Dell mini inspiron 910 broken screen! »