Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM

Glad to help.

Well, you definitely would not go wrong by getting a bigger drive. Even the 32gb works great, for me at least. I have iWork/life 08, Illustrator cs4 and PS cs4, skype, adium and a few other things on there and still have at least half of the drive left.

Not a bad price for em and the price is not to bad either.

At least you have something on there at the moment until you get the new drive. Good luck.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM

I decided to do the two usb install just to get a proper working OS on the mini..... now I have a question.

Following the previously linked instructions: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/step-by ... t1282.html

After I load up my 16gb USB flash which known here as the USB hard drive and I set everything up, I don't see it come back up again in the instructions. It talks about the DVD instal disk from there out, but never about the external usb hard drive I took all that time to set up. What am I not understanding?
  (#13) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Sorry, that particular install method, I have no idea about. Could you re-post this over there. Sorry bout that. Over here it is not getting the attention that it deserves
  (#14) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-21-2009, 06:01 PM

OK I get it. After reviewing it more it was a terminology issue I was misunderstanding. That guide is good one, but would be much easier if the drives were named something to identify them by rather than "USB drive" because we are working with 2 usb drives and a hard drive. That's a tad confusing, but I got it now.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Ok, cool. Sorry, I couldn't help with that method. I haven't had to use it as I have a bigger drive and jumping in to look at it for you, it looked a bit much for me without reviewing it more.
Regardless, glad you got it worked out. You will be happy with the Tpye11 version.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-21-2009, 07:37 PM

"A bit too much" is the understatement of the year. If I ever do this again it will be too soon. I still have yet to boot up the dell, too much prep work involved in this.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-22-2009, 01:06 AM

Time to buy yourself a bigger ssd
  (#18) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-22-2009, 01:58 AM

I hate buying something and having to throw money into it instantly. Not throwing money into it, HAVING to.

I just went through 20 hrs of pure he!! in my first hack and learning everything only to have the same stupid problem. It still won't go to sleep.

.....runs better though, but meh....... wasn't the point of the upgrade. Can't go to 10.5.6 and V7 because it requires more space than I have to run the update.

uhg.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-22-2009, 02:05 AM

You could just try swapping out some kexts. Give me a little while and I will search to see what I did.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: New guy, HI2U - 01-22-2009, 02:55 AM

Another quick question. Can you make sleep work by using the menu? Also, regarding the update, are you trying to use the menu update or did you download the combo updater from apple website? The combo update is a lot smaller in size??

« infinite minis...USB to DVI to TV display | Question about RAM »