Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question does side matter with usb drive? - 06-06-2011, 11:31 PM

I have read here and there that when changing the OS one should insert the usb drive containing appleos on the left, and the msdos booting usb on the right.

this does not make a lot of sense to me, is it correct ?
maybe due to some physical configuration of the mini?

thanks for the clarification

G5 2x1.8gz, 8gigram, ppc, osx5.8
G4 1.6gz, 2gigram, ppc, osx5.8
Asus i5, 4gigram, msdos os7
Dell mini9, 2gigram, 32ssd, 32sdhc, osx5.8?
?hackintosh i7? (retired Vic-20 & Amiga & os9)
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 06-07-2011, 01:04 PM

I believe that the left USB is the 'Powered USB' the others are not so the external DVD/CD drive may not receive enough power to run

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 06-07-2011, 03:57 PM

There's no particular requirement as to which has which OS. But as Rich implies, the USB port closest to the power connector has more power available than the others. This tends to matter more with CD/DVD drives than hard disks, and does not matter for flash drives.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Excellent,
thanks for the data clarification.

G5 2x1.8gz, 8gigram, ppc, osx5.8
G4 1.6gz, 2gigram, ppc, osx5.8
Asus i5, 4gigram, msdos os7
Dell mini9, 2gigram, 32ssd, 32sdhc, osx5.8?
?hackintosh i7? (retired Vic-20 & Amiga & os9)
  (#5) Old

Default 06-30-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
I believe that the left USB is the 'Powered USB' the others are not so the external DVD/CD drive may not receive enough power to run
Hi everyone!

I thought all USB have the same power, i was just confused when you mentioned that left USB does not get enough power? Can you please tell me more about it? Many Thanks

BMarie
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Some ports are capable of more current than others. Doesn't matter for flash drives, but can for disk and CD/DVD drives.

Steve
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 06-30-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernamarie View Post
Hi everyone!

I thought all USB have the same power, i was just confused when you mentioned that left USB does not get enough power? Can you please tell me more about it? Many Thanks

BMarie
If you RE-READ my post again you will see that I said that the LEFT side is the POWERED USB...which means it has MORE power than the ones on the right side, the powered side (LEFT) is usually what is necessary to run an external DVD/CD drive...any of them should work for a flash/thumb drive....and NO they do not all have the same power......

PS. Welcome to the forum....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#8) Old

Default 07-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
If you RE-READ my post again you will see that I said that the LEFT side is the POWERED USB...which means it has MORE power than the ones on the right side, the powered side (LEFT) is usually what is necessary to run an external DVD/CD drive...any of them should work for a flash/thumb drive....and NO they do not all have the same power......

PS. Welcome to the forum....
Do you have valid proof for that.
I've measured the voltage of each port, and they have the same voltage (5v dc), they also have the same speed of data transfer.

The power source indeed on the left side (from the user view), but it isn't directly connected to usb ports since it isn't 5v dc, it come to some kind of regulator that divide n regulate the voltage as the need of each part. and also, the distance of the 5v source power to each usb port isn't that long to make any difference in transferring 5v dc.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

When installing OS X, whichever the usb port I use to connect to my external hdd, it has the same results and time of installation.
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default 07-01-2011, 06:12 PM

The voltage is the same, as is the data speed. However, the maximum current the ports can supply is different. You will often see device manufacturers recommend connecting devices to the port on the back of a PC and not through a hub or front panel ports for the same issue - some ports can supply more power than others.

The problem usually shows up only with CD/DVD drives. The drive will appear to be powered and may even spin up, but it will not read or write data. These drives often have the ability to supply extra power from an external power supply or a second USB port. Some full-size USB disk drives (not the 2.5" or smaller drives) have the same issue, though they tend to be more forgiving.

On the Mini 9, the port closest to the power jack can deliver the most current, though even it can't quite manage the full 500ma the USB spec calls for. The other ports are weaker in current delivery.

Steve

« Bluetooth not working :( | Dell mini 9 windows not found ? »