Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question Couple o questions about memory on mini 9 - 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Hello All

Great forum!! loads of info and has got me itching to get the best out of the mini 9 I've just been given!
I read through the forum for last couple of days and have already upgraded the ram to 2gb from 1gb, The rest is still standard at the moment 8g ssd, running xp, camera, blutooth etc....

Anyways have been plagued by low memory messages constantly and cant quite work out why?? Have got rid of most programmes and all pictures and music and pretty much everything other than xp,mcafee,java and all the windows stuff but still have only 800mb free?!? Is this normal? as have read of people running with 4gb ssds?? how?
So have read through and got rid of the paging file which has helped as before it was 23mb!!
So please help? what am I missing other than upgrading the ssd? what would cause this massive memory loss?
really just wanna know how much free space the average machine has?

And the 2GB of RAM I now have, is there a way to maximize that space?

Also tried to put Ubuntu on to use from a flash drive, thinkin maybe I'll replace xp with it?(to save memory)
Used the wubi installer and a mediastar 16gb flash, I get the option to run that or windows on boot screen but Ubuntu just sends me to a grub screen????, so if anyone could help with this that be great.

I will upgrade the ssd at some point but wanna learn how to maximise space.

Sorry if these questions have all been asked, if so just link me up and I'll be happy to read away.

Cheers
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 06-03-2011, 05:01 PM

I can't help you much with shrinking Windows. Maybe look into nLite, a tool for producing shrunken XP installs.

Linux will fit on a Mini 9 with a 4GB SSD (like mine). But I wouldn't say it's "easy". If you're careless installing software and updates, you can easily fill it up (I'm careful ). On the other hand, an 8GB SSD or 16GB USB drive should be plenty for Linux.

As for installing Ubuntu on a flash drive, wubi might not be the way to go. Wubi normally installs Ubuntu "within" Windows. So, you set the BIOS to boot off the Windows drive, then select Ubuntu from the Windows boot menu (Wubi should have configured it so that it shows up automatically). But I dunno how well Wubi works with an external flash drive with a FAT filesystem.

Instead of wubi, you can use the Ubuntu "usb-creator" tool or UNetbootin to place the Ubuntu installer on a small flash drive. The normal installer is a full "Live" environment with plenty of software. It's not really intended for long-term use (you can't even save files permanently, unless you opt for "persistence"), but it might be adequate for some light use.

Once you have the Ubuntu installer on a flash drive, you can select it from the BIOS menu to boot it. If the Live enviroment is sufficient, just don't choose "Install".

If the Live environment isn't sufficient you can choose to install "full" Ubuntu to the SSD or a second USB drive. "Full" Ubuntu is intended for long-term use, but installing it generally requires two drives, one to hold the installer, and another to be the target.

Instead of a flash drive you could use a memory card, except that unfortunately, the Mini 9 can't directly boot off a memory card in the internal reader, so that's not really an option. You can store an OS on a memory card, but the actual boot would need to start elsewhere (USB, SSD, etc). Most other Minis can directly boot off the internal reader.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 06-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Great stuff, many thanks,, used the pendrive programme and now
I now have Ubuntu up and running off a flash drive but didnt put persistence on so as you cay cant save anything and can't seem to get the wireless working at all? Think I'll search on how to do that.

Still am wondering how to maximize ram usage?
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 06-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Broadcom WiFi driver. On a Ubuntu LiveCD/LiveUSB without persistence, you'll prbbably need to install it everytime you start up.

Info about installing the Broadcom WiFi driver in Ubuntu. On a LiveCD/USB, you basically need to install the necessary software manually off the LiveCD/USB, then activate the driver (via modprobe).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old

Default 06-04-2011, 03:20 PM

nice one, was going to ask if i couldn't work it out. am currently reinstalling windows to try ane free some room then will retry linux. many thanks
  (#6) Old

Default 06-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Broadcom WiFi driver. On a Ubuntu LiveCD/LiveUSB without persistence, you'll prbbably need to install it everytime you start up.

Info about installing the Broadcom WiFi driver in Ubuntu. On a LiveCD/USB, you basically need to install the necessary software manually off the LiveCD/USB, then activate the driver (via modprobe).
OK, so I reinstalled ubuntu with persistence at the maximum 4gb(using a 14gb stick so is fine)
BUT
When I connect on ububtu through a wired connection and install propietry driver for belkin wireless it keeps saying "error failed to intrall archive"
any ideas or alternative methods, sorry if I'm missing something obvious but this is all new to me!!
  (#7) Old

Default 06-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat book View Post
OK, so I reinstalled ubuntu with persistence at the maximum 4gb(using a 14gb stick so is fine)
BUT
When I connect on ububtu through a wired connection and install propietry driver for belkin wireless it keeps saying "error failed to intrall archive"
any ideas or alternative methods, sorry if I'm missing something obvious but this is all new to me!!
Hi Rat Book,

Ubuntu's live distributions use something called Jockey to identify and install the right wifi drivers at boot. But ( at least in my experience), when you install Ubuntu to an internal Disk/SSD, or use persistence, Jockey doesn't run and you need to install the drivers manually. If you're new to Ubuntu, one of the easiest ways to do this is via the Synaptic Package Manager.

Depending on your version of Ubuntu you'll find Synaptic buried in one of the appearance or administration menus. Make sure the the wired connection you mentioned is working, then open Synaptic Package Manager. Search for and install the package "bcmwl-kernel-source " . Shortly after that is installed, you ought to see a notification in the top right of your screen announcing that "Restricted Drivers are Available". It may take a few moments or a reboot before it appears. When it does, click on it, and in the menu that comes up activate the "Broadcom STA" driver. (Ubuntu experts..please correct me if I got any of that wrong).

For your XP install: Check to see if you have a virtual memory page file active. If your page file is active and set to auto, it will make itself larger when you add RAM. You mention that you ugraded to 2GB of RAM. So if your page file is turned on, its probably taking up 2GB, or more, of your SSD space. Turning it off will free up space at the expense of performance. But if you don't have the room to spare, it may be a good option. There's some debate anyway on the advisability of using a page file with a small SSD, although I'm not an expert in the area so have no idea what's best.

Long term, if you want Ubuntu and XP together (and haven't upgraded the SSD to a larger size), what Reflex describes is probably best. A regular install of Ubuntu, with the Ubuntu distibution files on an SD card, but booting off the internal SSD which also contains the XP install works fine (I've done it) and has the added advantage of no USB dirve sticking out the side to get caught on things. The Ubuntu installer (the full installer, not the Wubi version) will set this up for you if you specify where the files are to go an which drive to use as the boot drive. Unfortunately, the installer isn't terribly user friendly for folks new to the process, in which case a bit of Googling will usually help find you detailed directions.

Good luck!

Mark

Mini 9 | 2GB Ram | 16GB SSD | Lubuntu & XP

« Installing Mac OS X | Bluetooth not working :( »